Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Black locust bean pods ? >

Black locust bean pods ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Black locust bean pods ?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Black locust bean pods ?

Hello All,

Where I hunt there are a bunch of black locust tree's. I had watched a primos video and the deer seem to really like to feed on the "honey" locust bean pods. I am pretty sure the trees where I hunt are called black locust. They have what looks to be the same type of bean pod, long and flat.Other than that, honey locust may be sweeter? I see the squirrels eating on them and was wonderingif the deer like toeat the "black" locust pods? Or does the other food sources really need to be scarce for them to feed on these?

Thanks Again
Old 01-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Black locust bean pods ?

Im sorry but I really have no idea
Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bunch of locust trees on my property and the deer WILL indeed feed on them. They seem to prefer the pods when they are just a little sticky or gummy inside. It can be an ideal location to spot a shooter buck hanging out waiting for nightfall to join the Does and smallers bucks in the fields. I haven't found it to be a major attraction for deer groups though. Just one more secondary food sourse that you should factor into your hunting strategy.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:08 PM

I Agree.I had a area that the acorns were not abundant.
Had 2 locust trees that were dropping pods.Seemed every deer in the region was stopping by for a snack!It does seem that they like them
better when they are sticky inside!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I did see where they were eating the honey locust pods on tv. Just wasn't sure about the black locust ones. I hunt a 8 acre spot just on the edge of town (only place I have found to hunt). It is loaded with these types of trees, pods everywhere. Haven't really seen these type of pods to be a real deer attractant.

thanks again!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 AM

Cant say that I know, because when I see one of those porcupine trees growing where I hunt, I take the STIHL to it. I figure kill it before it kills me.

...and if that is all a deer has to eat where I hunt, then that is gonna be one hungry deer. ;o)

Old 01-05-2006, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: duxrok

Cant say that I know, because when I see one of those porcupine trees growing where I hunt, I take the STIHL to it. I figure kill it before it kills me.
Why would you cut it down? I hunt out of them all the time. Do you find these trees dangerous? Not being a wise guy or anything just find this post confusing.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

My stand is in a locust tree and although we do our fair share of cutting these trees down for brush piles and wood they are helpful for the environment. Squirells and Doves nest in them and as mentioned I have witness countless deer eating the pods.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a difference in black locust and honey locust. Honey locust are the ones with the huge thorns and these are the ones the deer eat. Black locust are used for fence posts a lot of times.