Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 homemade cover scent >

homemade cover scent

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

homemade cover scent

Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default homemade cover scent

i read an article in traditional bow hunter or archery, can't remember. anyways this guy makes his own cover scent and puts it in a spray bottle. anyone ever tried this technique?

1. couple grocerybags of veg, preferably around your hunting grounds/stand (gathered in the summer or before the season)
2. boiled in a large pot with none chlorinated water for 10 minutes i believe, then covered and let to stand for 10-20 minutes
3. veg is extracted and water should look gold to brown color with sediment at bottom
4. liquid is poured into gallon jugs and a small amount of that scent stopper soap is added. it is mixed but not to the point were bubbles are made. soap is said to act as a sticking agent for the sediment/liquid
5. this is then put in a spray bottle and PRESTO

will this work you think or is this just another way to sell magazines in the book store.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: homemade cover scent

I boil and strain those little blue looking berries you get off of ever green's. You will smell like a christmas tree all day.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM

It will probably work. I use regular rubbing alcohol and take evergreen needles and branches from the area I hunt. I soak theneedles and branches in the alcohol for a couple of months then strain the fluid into a spray bottle. At first you smell a little like alcohol, but since it evaperates very fast you soon just smell like aevergree tree. I haven't had any problems being busted using it.

I have heard of boiling acorns until they are soft and then smashing them up and boiling them some more until the water turns brownish and using that as acorn cover scent. I'm planning on trying this next year.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad does this. He's made apple cover, spruce cover, pine cover, and tried other kinds. It does work. He got this from an article years back.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info and opinions guys. i'll try this next year for sure.