Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mineral lick and Slat blocks >

Mineral lick and Slat blocks

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mineral lick and Slat blocks

Old 12-12-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Mineral lick and Slat blocks

I haven't had much luck with mineral licks or slat blocks. The deer seem to always walk right pass them. The only timeI ever see sign of deer absorbing nutrients from the blocks are after it has dissolved. Why? Has anybody else had much luck with these?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Mineral lick and Slat blocks

I just put out a couple salt blocks called Whitetail Addiction, and it said the rain will dissolve the block and the deer will get the saltout of the dirt somehow, so I took my leatherman and broke it up into a few smaller pieces. I'm going back this weekend so I'll see ifit did any good.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck if they don't work for deer just put your tail gate down and drive slow thru town with the blocks sitting in plain view. You'll get ya one of them corn feed country girls for sure. Just stop by Casey's and get ya a piece of pizza and when you come out she should be licking on it. Worked for me.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The salt and mineral licks will not get used much this time of year. The deer use them mainly in the spring and the summer then quit through fall and winter. They will only use them when they have high needs and are deficient in their diet and now isn't the right time. They are good to have as they will help the deer and it will keep them in the area during the off season.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, they don't use them much this time of year. They use them most during
the spring when bucks are growing horns and does are nursing fawns.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 PM

Now I don't put out mineral or salt blocks at all for deer but I do put them out for cattle. We have one pasture that we run cattle in from about June 1st or so until October, 30ish acres or so. The blocks are generally in one area. This area, even with no blocks, gets torn to all get up every spring before we send the cows over there. The deer and everyhting just dig and lick this patch up becasueof all the salt and minerals that have leached into the soil there. This year, probably not so much with being that we switched from blocks to loose mineral in a feeder but in the past it was always interesting.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mez

The salt and mineral licks will not get used much this time of year. The deer use them mainly in the spring and the summer then quit through fall and winter. They will only use them when they have high needs and are deficient in their diet and now isn't the right time. They are good to have as they will help the deer and it will keep them in the area during the off season.

100% true!!!!!!!!! you use them to get the deer tp patern
Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM

Very true about using them in the spring and summer. This spring and summer deer would visit my plain old salt block just about every night. But I havent seen the deer use it much or at all this fall....
Old 12-12-2005, 08:04 PM

About next time this year you will probably see a big hole in the ground. The deer really tear the ground up getting the rest of the salt.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:33 PM

i have very good luck with them here in south western MN the deer come to them all the time and always stop there and check things out for about 1-10 mins. The quickest i have had a saltblock disappear is probably about a week and a half. They just demolish it!

Quick Reply: Mineral lick and Slat blocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.