Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What age do you shoot your deer at? >

What age do you shoot your deer at?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:26 AM

Default What age do you shoot your deer at?

I am interested to hear how old you guys let the deer grow where you hunt before they are taken off. Is it just, if its big shoot it, or do you actually wait untill they are mature. On our lease in South Texas we wait untill they are at least 5 1/2, no younger, and we are very adimate. If you shoot deer consistently younger, then you are gone. We keep pictures of big deer we think are too young up in the camp house for the other members to see. So we can let them spread their genes around for another couple of years. I was not sure how it was done around the rest of the country, I know it is tough in some parts just to see a deer over 3 or 4 yrs old.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What age do you shoot your deer at?

I hunt for deer that will meet the P & Y requirements. Where I hunt that usually means they will be 3 1/2 or older. In the place where my friend and I have hunted for the last three seasons, there are more deer in the older age classes. This year I upped my goal to 140's or better. I took a 4 1/2 11 pt at 143. Last year a 134 8 pt at 5 1/2, and a 140 10 pt 4 1/2 the year before. Next season, if we get the lease again, I'll go for 150's or better. Generally, by increasing score size, you increase age class as well. I know that there are some dandy 2 1/2's, but in our area they don't usuallyreach 140. 150's to 160's is the top end in this area. I have seen only 1 170's in three seasons.

GregH
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Fortunatley I've not been forced to lease....yet...but on the land that me and my buddies hunt, we try not to shoot anything under PY with a few guys holding out for 140-150+ and most bucks won't hit that mark until they are mature anyway so it usually works out.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

I ask them before I shoot but they can't understand me so I figure there defective so I take them out of the herd. they eat better with spots.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rich Baker

I ask them before I shoot but they can't understand me so I figure there defective so I take them out of the herd. they eat better with spots.
Ditto , I don't care about antlers either , if it looks like it will dress out enough to be worth the drag I'll take it .
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on my mood and the deer. I don't like spots or deer with milk mustaches. Other than that, if it strikes my fancy I'm throwing an arrow at it until I get some meat for the freezer. After that's accomplished I get more picky but don't wait for macho buck. I hunt to succeed and hear TWACK. My woods are full of over populated undersized deer. Someone has to kill 'em.[8D]
Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not discriminate based on age, sex or religion when I shoot my deer

Basically if its a doe, I'll shoot, but usually not a REAL small one. Bucks - if its around P&Y or higher in my area, its most likely around a 3 1/2, so its fair game for me.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:16 AM

I like to wait for a 3 1/2 year old b/c if ever 1 kills the small 1s there will never be a wall hanger
Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 AM

Whatever age they are when they walk by

This year that would be 2 1/2...........that is the combined age of all 3 deer I put an arrow through
Old 12-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Old enough to fit in the freezer. I could careless about trophies, im a meat hunter. Any mature deer, 2.5 years and up is fair game.

Quick Reply: What age do you shoot your deer at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.