HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Late Season-Calling,Rattling? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/124235-late-season-calling-rattling.html)

CPH45 12-08-2005 02:56 PM

Late Season-Calling,Rattling?

Any sense in calling or rattling in the late season? I have never tried it, but have heard of people doing it.

kevin1 12-08-2005 03:00 PM

RE: Late Season-Calling,Rattling?

I give an occasional soft contact grunt , but I don't rattle . Contact grunts don't sound threatening , and spark their curiosity as to who "the new gal" is .

rangerstud620 12-08-2005 04:05 PM

I hit the grunt call quite a bit in the late season. Every year beginning around the first of Dec. I hear deer grunting back and forth to each other so I join in. I've never actually called one in but I've carried on 'conversations' for about 10 minutes with the same deer.:D:D:D It keeps me entertained between deer sightings. Not sure why they aren't that vocal before the rut though. I normally don't rattle either.

CPH45 12-08-2005 04:17 PM

I figured the grunting would be OK, but this guy told me he rattled and it was really effective late season. I've known the guy for some time and thought he was FOS anyway. The rattling just didn't make sense to me, and you know how some people think louder is righter

vc1111 12-08-2005 04:21 PM

Whitetails continue to search for hotter does into January. In areas where the buck/doe ration is good, the rattling can be effective for quite some time.

I've rattled in 5 this year but no shooters.

As far as grunting, the short grunt, which is about 1/2 of second long and rather quiet is effective year-round.

One of the main reasons I love hunting is that I love calling in whitetails and turkeys.

Hit the horns, use the grunt call... it beats sitting in your stand and praying "Dear God, please let a deer walk under my stand!"[8D][8D]

nubo 12-08-2005 07:16 PM

I've never personally had much success grunting and rattling in a buck late season ,but I can speak for my buddy who swear's by rattling late season ,and he's had good success with it .

nubo

TeeJay 12-09-2005 04:39 AM

ORIGINAL: vc1111

it beats sitting in your stand and praying "Dear God, please let a deer walk under my stand!"[8D][8D]

I thought i was the only one who prayed to the deer gods!

duxrok 12-09-2005 10:07 AM

I try both for pretty much the same reason as above.

Rattle, and no deer comes means deer aren't interested. But if you don't rattle, I guarantee you that no deer will come to the rattle.

Grunt, and no deer comes means deer aren't interested. But if you don't grunt, I guarantee you that no deer will come to the grunt.

How will you know if you don't try. "You miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretsky

Legacy357 12-09-2005 10:17 AM

i have rattle in some small bucks in second archery season in pa.....typically after rifle season, the bucks that survive will group up together. they still have some hormones flowing through them and will lightly spar for dominance of the small group. this is what i have seen on a few occassions but the biggest deer i have rattled in was a 6 point.....i know if i am not seeing anything, i will try and hit the horns lightly to see if i can spark a deers interest.

GMMAT 12-09-2005 12:44 PM

I've been grunting a little this year with VERY limited success. I think I've actually only grunted in one buck......and that was a few weeks ago.

About calling, though.......the secret to being a good caller (whether it be ducks/geese/turkeys/etc...) is to be where they want to come in the first place. I worry about stand placement/set up areamore than trying to call in animals.

As far as calling goes........Less = More.

Jeff