Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Adrenaline's effect on meat taste? >

Adrenaline's effect on meat taste?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Adrenaline's effect on meat taste?

Old 12-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Adrenaline's effect on meat taste?

I have a motherinlaw that doesn't care for hunting. She would never hurt even a flea. She does however believe that hunting is necessary, to an extent. I've gone very easy on her over the years in order to win her opinion.

She was asking me the other day why I was still hunting seeing as I already have one deer in the freezer. I told her that I'd take two or three more given the chance as I believe venison is hands down more healthy than commercial beef. She asked if I really thought that a deer that was shot and did not die instantly allowing adrenaline to flood the body was really all that healthy. I didn't really know the answer, which I admitted to her.

What's your take? I would think that adrenaline kicks whena deer is shot. Does this stay with the meat? Is it toxic (as she thinks it could be)? Or does it not make a difference?

Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Adrenaline's effect on meat taste?

I 've never really thought about it, but it kinda sounds like you'd have a high protein, low fat,energy boostingmeal.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Definately not toxic............hormones are present in the body's endocrine system at all times.........just in varying levels depending on needs (regulatory system). The only thing that could result would be a possible taste difference in the meat. I know that when farmers kill hogs they cut off their nuts first to avoid a hormone surge at death. Ever since I learned that I immediately de-nut a buck when I get up to it (just in case).......never noticed a difference one way or the other though.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

atlasman is right it is not toxic but i do think it affects the flavor of the meat.Another reason to make sure you have a good shot and make a quick kill.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 PM

Most hogs and steers are neutered far before death. Whatdomestic animal harvesters/processors and hunters have in common to worry about than the sex hormones would be the stress hormones. Generally animals that are highly stressed before death go into anerobic metabolism in their muscle cells which causes a build up of, ah crap I want to say lactic acid but I am doubting that, which will cause the meat to be darker. No health risks to the eater but you will often end up with tougher and darker meat. Most people probably won't be able to notice it in deer since that is what game tastes likes..You would notice a steer that was stressed real bad before processing since it is not the norm.. And by stressed I mean RUN.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard that a deer that is stressed out will not taste as good.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 PM

I've heard that too, but I'm not buying it until someone does a test. Somebody with one of those fenced in huntin' ranches could do it. On the same day, at the same time, shoot 2 deer of similiar size/age/sex...the one you shoot with a leathal shot, the other you wound and let run for a few minutes before finishing off. Then the meat has to be served up the same way with a double blind experimental format. If everyone says one tastes better than the other, you've proved it...if not, ya' ain't. [8D]
Old 12-02-2005, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: stoneman

I've heard that too, but I'm not buying it until someone does a test. Somebody with one of those fenced in huntin' ranches could do it. On the same day, at the same time, shoot 2 deer of similiar size/age/sex...the one you shoot with a leathal shot, the other you wound and let run for a few minutes before finishing off.

Yea.......that would be a great idea
Old 12-02-2005, 09:04 AM

It's okay, since it's being done in the name of science, it's acceptable to inflict unecessary pain on critters.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know you guys are kidding, but unnecessary pain is just that. Lethal shots for both of em, just dont let one know what hit him and get after the other right away and run it for a bit...

Quick Reply: Adrenaline's effect on meat taste?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.