Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Second estrus cycle? >

Second estrus cycle?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Second estrus cycle?

Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Second estrus cycle?

I would be intrested in hearing what you guys have to say about the "second rut" here in Pa.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Second estrus cycle?

I'm not in Pa but it was always my understanding that it isn't actually a "2nd rut" but rather bucks going after does that hit their estrous cycle later than normal , like the younger ones.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

Does will keep cycling in and out untill they are bred, so technically there is a second rut, but also could be a third, but is dependent on the doe's themselves.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

Does will keep cycling in and out untill they are bred, so technically there is a second rut, but also could be a third, but is dependent on the doe's themselves.
I have a question then, is it ok to use doe estrus scent after the rut? Will it continue to bring in bucks?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I have a hard time with the terminology of "2nd rut". Wouldn't it be one loooong rut? The bucks are ready to breed the entire time , their just waiting for the hot doe to come along. For some it's a later estrous cycle , for others it's the fact that they haven't been bred yet. There is nothing set in stone that says a certain group of doe will hit their estrous cycle by early to mid November (first rut) , while a certain group of doe will hit their estrous cycle in mid to late December (indicating a second rut).
I look at it this way , the bucks are looking to breed anything willing from early November to January (around here) , and if there's a doe that hasn't been bred yet and she's still hot , or it's a late estrous cycle (younger doe) ,he's gonna beinterested.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

A doe only comes into estrous every 28 days or so. Then she's ONLY hot for 36-72 Hours. After that, she'll have to wait for her Estrous Cycle again. This is 28 days later. This is when guys claim the SECOND Rut hits.

So i've been informed anyways. Obviously i didnt test this hypothesis.