Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early morning scent useage--have questions about application of scent >

Early morning scent useage--have questions about application of scent

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early morning scent useage--have questions about application of scent

Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Early morning scent useage--have questions about application of scent

I have never been a big scent or call guy, I guess the deer I hunt are fairly well pressured and I have noticed a somewhat adverse effect. However , I have had some success during the late pre-rut laying down a tarsal gland scent or a dominant buck scent and pulling in some bucks.

That being said, one problem I have encountered in the past is that if I put down scent too early in the morning, say 1.5 hours before sun-up, I have had bucks come in way before sun-up to investigate, only to never return after sun-up......does anyone have a method to deal with this type of thing? Or do you all just start dispensing scents once the sun starts coming up? Thanks a bunch all. I am considering using some scents on Friday for the first time this year.

vashadowhunter
Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Early morning scent useage--have questions about application of scent

I don't have much experience yet, but I usually put my scent out early too. If they are checking it out before the sun comes up, I don't hear or see them. It has been my experience so far that it takes at least 1-2 hours before I start seeing any activity after placing out my scent. You might try waiting another 30 minutes or so to put your scent out. Just becareful not to make too much noise or leave your scent all over the place. Some noise is probably ok, the deer around here seem to be somewhat curious when they hear wierd noises and come out to check things out. That's why I also try to do some calling. Even if it's way early in the season for calling, I do it and have seen some deer come out at a distance to see if they can see what's going on.....I'm think about putting out a decoy one of these years to see if I can get them in closer for the early bow season. Who knows, just try a few different methods and once you find one you like, use it. Good luck.