Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good Quality Cam For Under $100?? >

Good Quality Cam For Under $100??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good Quality Cam For Under $100??

Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Quality Cam For Under $100??

ok i might ramble a little so here goes haha but this year i got a good 10 pt...(ask me if u really wanna see pics) but i didnt think there were ANY bucks on my property.....not worth shooting anways.....but today when i was hunting i saw 4 little buck alot of does and over the past 2 weeks i saw 2 HUGE....i repeat HUGE HUGE bucks...one was good and tall and the other one was like a mile wide( 20-25 inches) but at 400 yards he was still big and i had no knowledge of there being ANY bucks on this particular property....anyways backs on track i need a good quality trail camera with a time stamp....thats basically it....i will probably write another thread asking how and where to put up one...but we will save that for later....sorry for the ramble but whats your suggestions
Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: Good Quality Cam For Under $100??

Look on ebay. For the most part you get what you pay for. I've used a Moultrie 100 dollar camera and I thought it was junk. Wasn't taking pictures when deer were in the sensor range. I walked back and for 4 times before the camera went off. Invest some money into your camera. 200 dollars will get you a long ways. Look on the cabelas site or on ebay and you willl find many to choose from.

Almost every camera has a time stamp on them.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a couple of 35mm cameras that work ok. I believe they are stealth cameras. It gets expensive though getting pictures developed. I think it may be hard to a real good quality one though for under $100.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been through most of them and you can't get any better than the Moultrie D40 ($99) unless you want to spend $350+ in my opinion. Trigger speed is pretty good, at least as god as the $300 leaf river I have. Point it facing down a trail, or on a destination spot (food/scrape/mock scrape) and speed is plenty good. I love mine and plan to add another 4+ of them to my tool box for next season.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey RJ,
I picked up the same camera.......should have grabbed 10 of them for $69 huh? (Bass Pro was substituting the D-40 for a lower priced camera that they sold out of rather than giving rain checks[:-])
anyway, I have one in the box yet and it's my first camera so if you have any tips on using that particular one I'm all ears.
I heard great things about them and when i saw the deal I picked one up.........now I'm kicking myself for not getting a bunch and using them for gifts etc.

Sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Hey RJ,
I picked up the same camera.......should have grabbed 10 of them for $69 huh? (Bass Pro was substituting the D-40 for a lower priced camera that they sold out of rather than giving rain checks[:-])
anyway, I have one in the box yet and it's my first camera so if you have any tips on using that particular one I'm all ears.
I heard great things about them and when i saw the deal I picked one up.........now I'm kicking myself for not getting a bunch and using them for gifts etc.

Sorry for the hi-jack.
If you see that deal again, honestly find a way to get ahold of me and I will without a doubt buy 4 from you. I'm not even kidding..........dead serious, that's an outstanding deal.

Biggest piece of advice is setting it up to get good pictures on trails. Keep in mind that after 2minutes of no activity, the D-40's go into a sleep mode that takes 2-3 seconds to wake up from and trigger a pic. This is done to preserve battery life. There is a direct correlation between trigger speed and battery life on most reasonably priced cameras, the D40 has a good balance between the two. Once they wake up though, trigger speed is outstanding and they will take pics with 1 second trigger timeboth with and without the flash.They are competitive in trigger speed with anything out there under $350 or so. Battery life is acceptable too, mine with roughly 200ish pics and 3 weeks in the woods had 65% battery life last weekend.

Because they don't always have the 1 second trigger speed (at least not in sleep mode) like some of the high priced cameras.......if you are not setting up on a destination spot (corn pile, scrape, mock scrape) where they will be there for more than just cruising through, you will need to setup the camera quartering towards where you expect the deer to come from. This is the best way to get good pics with a slower trigger speed camera.If you can, always face the camera north in direction, this will prevent sun washout in the pics....I've had entire memory cards full of pics that were all washed out with sun glare because I faced the camera south.

Below is a pic that I setup ona stream crossingfunnel on my property, you can see I quartered it towards where the deer come from, facing north, and it worked perfectly. I think I only got like 3x pics here with no deer in the pic out of 20+ pics which is VERY good for a camera of this type of trigger speed.

Get yourself 2x memory cards per camera and label the camera, and cards accordingly. This way you can pull the card, put in a fresh one, and then head back to see what you got. If you have multiple cameras, keep track of what cards go with what camera. For example I started a naming scheme on my cameras because I plan to have 4 on my property by next year. My first camera is labeled Miller1, with 2x cards physically labeled Miller1 - 1, and Miller1 - 2. That way when I am in the field fumbling with things, I don't accidentaly put the same card back in with my pics by accident and end up going home to find I brought back the empty one.

If you don't have a laptop, go on ebay and buy an old Win 95 or 98 laptop that is stable and has paint installed on it for around $50, and get yourself a $15 USB memory card reader as wellThen you can see your pics while in the field, or at least without having to go home. Just leave the laptop in the vehicle or camp........etc.

Hope this helps!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, you don't need 1GB cards. I didn't realize this when I bought my cards but the high res pic setting saves them at approx 800-900kb. You could fit approx 1000 of these on a 1gb card.......[8D]. Save your money and buy some 500mb cards instead unless your anticipating hundreds and hundreds of pics over a corn pile or somethings.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

what is the trigger speed of a Moultrie D40 compared to a cuddeback rick james? ( or anyone who knows)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwaldeier

what is the trigger speed of a Moultrie D40 compared to a cuddeback rick james? ( or anyone who knows)
Cuddeback is usually always going to be around 1 second. D40 is going to be around 2-3 seconds for the first picture when coming out of sleep mode, however for the next several minutes it will take pics w/ 1 second trigger speed both with and without the flash. You can buy 4x D40's for the price of one cuddeback though, and then point your camera quartering towards where the animals come from and then speed isn't an issue.

Quick Reply: Good Quality Cam For Under $100??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.