Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The best way to get permission to hunt private property??? >

The best way to get permission to hunt private property???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The best way to get permission to hunt private property???

Old 10-25-2005, 06:42 PM

Default The best way to get permission to hunt private property???

Me and my cousin are looking into getting permission from some other landowners to hunt there land and I was wondering what the best way to go about this. Right now I hunt about 100 acres of my family farm but its gets old after 3 years in the same place not saying that this is bad spot though. Do landowners like the idea of only bowhunting as aposed to gun hunting?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Default RE: The best way to get permission to hunt private property???

Just go ask them
Old 10-26-2005, 05:21 AM

When it comes down to it you basically do have to just go ask but there are better ways of saying it than saying Hi my name is...can I hunt here?

Simple body language, things like eye contact a firm handshake and clean appearance will make a good first impression with people. SMILE. When asking someone to hunt, I normally tell them they have a pretty place that I notice when I drive by or I am alays seeing deer or turkeys driving by. 'I love to hunt whenever I get the chance and I was just wondering if you had anyone hunting on your place, because I'd sure love the oppurtunity to if you'd allow me." Make it clear what your intentions are. I like to hunt for nice bucks and let them know that up front that I won't be shooting a ton of deer, I'll be picky and wait on the right one or I won't shoot anything at all. If theyhesitate or even say no, say,"Well I understand, but would consider strictly bowhunting because that would be just great?"

Other things like offering them meat you harvest or even some money may also work, but most people are going to either say yes or no, no matter what you offer. I'll tell you this, the clean cut articulate hunter, will get further with landowners than the redneck who pulls up in his truck and rolls down the window to talk to the old farmer in his driveway.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just off the top of my head as a land owner, I'd say, try to meet me casually if possible. If not come to my door show some respect, explain why you are interested in hunting on my land, and explain any services you might be able to offer in return (maybe painting, welding, etc.). Make sure you come through with any promises made and follow any rules that may be conditional such as leaving the land the way you found it, not prunning trees, etc. A big pieve of mine is finding empty casings or other garbage on the ground.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd also suggest NOT going over there in Camo. I just obtained permission to hunt a GREAT little 24 acre plat.....and the landowner is a HUGE animal lover. He lets ME hunt....but he don't want anything to do with it...or to even know I'm there. I made a promise to leave everything JUst as I find it ('cept any trash I see).

Oh yeah....my property abutts his family graveyard. I've been mowing around his graveyard for 2 years before asking him....and he STILL initially told me "no". Be as professional as you can be (I got home and hand-wrote him a note after our initial conversation....thanking him for his time...and letting him know WHY I hunt. He came to MY HOME and told me I could hunt there.....2 days later.

I guess I did it right.

Jeff