Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cuddeback vs. Leaf River >

Cuddeback vs. Leaf River

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cuddeback vs. Leaf River

Old 10-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Cuddeback vs. Leaf River

I decided to buy a digital scouting cam and decided on one of these two. Does anybody have either of these? Are you happy with them? How is the picture quality at night? day? dawn? dusk? Any pictures for comparison would be great. How do the battery lives compare? I have heard good things about both of these units. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Cuddeback vs. Leaf River

c'mon so no one uses either of these trail cams?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

For the money, you're probably better off making your own, or at least buying a "homebrew" from people like the makers of the "Snapshot Sniper".

I have a Leaf River (it was the 1st digital I bought) they service people at Leaf River have been AWESOME.

BUt I'm not overly thrilled with the camera to tell you the truth.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:17 PM

MatthewG,

I purchased two Leaf River model #DC-2BU two months ago. I don't have any hands on knowledge with the Cuddeback so I can't make any comparisons of the two but I can tell you my experiences with the Leaf River.

It takes four "D" and three "C" batteries. I bought super cheap batteries and have the cams out for a full seven weeks. The "D" indicator light is still on full while the "C" indicator light is on half (possibly only because I used them for a few hours in a radio first). I don't know how much more life I will get but I think they will last the rest of the hunting season.

The quality is ok, definately not 35mm. Best put I would say the quality is good enough for precise hunting knowledge (ie. number of points on a buck etc.) but not framing material.

The trigger seems slow.The cam is best placed over a scrape, up or down a trail (not across), or anywhere a deer will momentarily stop. I believe this to be standard for this price of a cam, but am not certain.

The LCD viewing screen is very nice and well worth the extra few bucks. The screen is quite small but gives an inthe field view on whats going on. If there arequite a few pictures, which seems to be everytime, I just bring them back and hook them up to the computer to get a blown up version. Then you can store them,E-mail them, print them,etc.

The flash is ok I guess. It's range is up to about 60 ft. or so fordecent quality.

With tons of options it was somewhat confusing at first but did not take long to get used to them. NowI'm toying with some others.

The housing seems very strong and well built. No problems.

All in all I amquite pleased withthe Leaf Rivers, but this is without any knowledge on other cams. I bought this one based on the reviews of "others". Hope this helps and I will try to put some cool photos along with this since I save them all.

I tried to attach photos and am having problems. I will send this in fear of losing it and then reply again with photos- hopefully.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 PM

MatthewG,

I am NOT a computer guy. I had to move them to my desktop, shrink them, then attach them. I have no idea how these will go through. If they do the two nighttime pictures were taken on the lowest resolution setting and the daytime on on high resolution.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been plugging Cuddeback quite a bit this summer. It has really good trigger speed - and OK digital quality. Some of my day pics look washed out, and some of the night pics have too much flash. But... the good pics - are really good. Here are a few - mine is the older version 1.3 mpx.

Seems Photobucket is SLOW tonight - check back if the pics don't show.

FH

Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

overall the cuddeback has been great its real quick to trigger as you'll see it catches these walking deer, battery life is great, flash is great....i would have to say id rather get nightime photos then daytime

Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

another...

Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

i enhanced the color on this one a little...