Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow noise

Old 10-17-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Bow noise

Hey guys, I'm sorry to post about a subject that I know has been brought up before, but I'm confused. I'm new to bow hunting this year. I bought myself a Hoyt UltraSport (29" draw length, set at around 63 lbs). I'm shooting Carbon Express 300's. Here's my problem.

When I first bought the bow, it was set at 60lbs or so. I shot it several times and it was really quiet. I called the shop to make sure that I could adjust the weight at home by myself, and they told me that with this particular model, all I have to do is turn the bolts. So I did one full turn on each limb to get it to 63-64 lbs. I shot it twice before the bow started making noise when shot.

The last two times I've been out shooting with it, it makes this TUNG noise that sounds like something is vibrating. It also seems like I'm feeling increased hand shock. Even with a stabilizer on it still makes the noise. Any ideas? I'm going to try to get it in to the bow shop this weekend, but it's bugging the heck out of me in the mean time.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 PM

Default RE: Bow noise

I would try putting the weight back down to what it was set at when you bought it, and see if it still makes the noise. If it still makes the noise, try putting the weight up higher than you did when you adjusted it. If it still makes the noise, bring it in for inspection. Hope I can help
Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Make sure you rest and sight and all other accesories are on tight, sometimes a loose sight can cause a lot of noise. Move the weight back down and see if it does it, if it does take it to the shop.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Measure from one axle to the other. Measure from the string to the deepest part of the grip. Axle to axle is supposed to be 36". Brace height is supposed to be 7 1/4". I'd bet both measurements are off.

If axle to axle is 37" or more, or if the brace height measures less than 7", the string and cables aren't under the correct amount of tension andneed to be adjusted.