Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about Cutting Shooting lanes >

Question about Cutting Shooting lanes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Cutting Shooting lanes

Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Question about Cutting Shooting lanes

Yesterday I found one hell of a place to hang my stand.....deer poop everywhere and white acorns dropping like rain!!! Long story short....i hung my stand and my trail cam and cut a bunch of shooting lanes into the poop areas. As I was marking my bright eyes on trees walking out.....a deer walked up on me and then gave me the salute and took off.....it didnt blow though. Question is this.....A. Is it likely that deer will return? B. Did I mess that spot up by cuttting down little trees for shooting lanes?

***Side Note: These deer are used to very high traffic from people and hunters.....in fact many large trees were recently cut down close to my stand. They are also used to hearing 4 wheelers, trucks, etc.

Thanks,

Scent Lok
Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Question about Cutting Shooting lanes

If it was a doe, it will be back. If it was a buck it will probably be back, but may wait a while unless you were real close to his bedding area. Then he may bolt altogether.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 PM

I would appreciate some more feedback on this....thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 PM

if they are hitting it hard and are used to traffic, i'd say it will return.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM

unless it was really spooked bad , it will most likely be back.if they see people and machines all the time,(like where I hunt) they don't really mind someone to bad. as long as you didn't shoot at it or bust it from it's bed several times.I have flushed deer from the thickets where I hunt several times,while looking for other deer and cutting trails and such. then go back and flush them from near the spot again.
if it's as you say,I would go back and hunt them,you never know bout deer in an area where they see people all the time.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

i usualy cut my lanes a while ahead of time to givethe deertime to get used to it. it all depends on how soon you plan on hunting it.I set all my stands up in the summer and give it lots of time to settle. Some stands i set up cut a couple things down and see deer a week or 2 later
Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 PM

Dont worry about anything. The shooting lanes are fine and the deer WILL be back.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 PM

They will be back. I too try to do my lumberjack work in the summer - so things settle. But when you find a hot spot during the first couple weeks of season - you have to make a choice.

I would have done the same - hang a stand and get a couple lanes - maybe not as many as I would cut in June or July but enought to get the job done. With the other distractions, they won't care in a day or two.

Good luck in the new sweet spot. Hope it yields for you.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 PM

thanks everyone.....I hunted it this morning and jumped deer walking in early....they sound like they were real close to where I cut the trees down. I didnt see a damn thing on this hunt but thats probably bc of the full moon.....I am going in tomorrow at 3pm

Scent Lok
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM

I spent 6 hours building a stand in a oak grove 2 years ago...hammering, chainsaws, trimming brush...you get the picture
I came back to put the finishing touch on it 2 hours later and there was 6 does right under it. Point being If it is a major food source for the area nothing short of a bomb going off will keep them out of it.