Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hang On or Ladder Stand? >

Hang On or Ladder Stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Hang On (Chain On) Stand
67.74%
Ladder Stand
32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Hang On or Ladder Stand?

Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hang On or Ladder Stand?

I'm debating on getting a hang on stand or a ladder stand. I do not own land to hunt on.....I'm hunting a friend of mine's farm land. He is in the process of selling his place and I will soon be an orphan hunter unless I opt for public land.

Anyway, I want a decent, stable, stand that is also portable. I do not want a climbing stand....that's why it's not listed in the poll.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hang On or Ladder Stand?

Hang on with a climbing stick!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a cheap hang-on from Wal-Mart. Perhaps you can get two of them for the price of one ladder stand.

They work. They're cheap. Don't forget some type of tree-step or climbing stick.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:35 PM

Hi Diamonds,
I use both. The security and comfort of the ladders is nice. I am fortunate in that I do not have to take them down sothey are part of the environment. Putting one up a couple weeks before the season can distirb patterns. They are also harder to get into the woods.

Hangs on's are greta when you need to change locations without distubing things. They are however somewhat difficult to hang. Regardless of the brackets and gimmicks - you still need to pull 15-20 pounds, 20ft up a tree while standing on climbing sticks.

As I age, the ladders get nicer and nicer. Have taken my best buck (148" 10 pointer) from a hang on and my second best (137" 8 pointer with 2 kickers) from my ladder.

If they help you stay in the field longer - it's the best choice cause you can't shoot em if you ain't out there.

Good luck with your choice and in the field this year.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:51 AM

I personally find hang on stands less cumbersome. Important to me while hunting!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would opt for the hang on stand. I think you have more flexibility with them and they are much more portable than a ladder.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are worried about the secuity from a hang on stand......buy a ground blind!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I chose ladder only because I think they are slightly safer. It really depends on where you are hunting. If I had to lug it a distance I would want a hang on. If it was close and the terrain wasn't all that bad I would want a ladder stand.

Tom
Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say on public ground a ladder but on private ground definitely a hang on. Here in Iowa you can't use screw in steps on public ground therefore the ladder would be the better choice. I guess it is just personal preference.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted for the hang on with climbing sticks. I think thats the best option out of the two you listed. Just out of curiosity how come you don't want a climber?

Quick Reply: Hang On or Ladder Stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.