Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what a day

Old 10-01-2005, 08:40 AM

Default what a day

Man, first day of bowseason in Indiana. I get in my stand about an hour before daylight, sitting up in the tree, it's going to be a great morning. I'm sitting on the route between their bedding area and a lake. And torwards the lake from my stand about 30 yards are 4 persimmon trees and a few nice white oaks bearing acorns. A dream place to hunt. I heard deer movement all morning, mostly in the cornfield (which hasn't been cut yet.) I hear grunts to my left from the acorn tree area, then I hear a lot of running. Then I see a pack of dogs. Chase everything off at about 10:00. Then, they kick up a rabbit and start chasing it all around. They never left site for 10 minutes. I finally had enough and drew back. Lucky for the mutts they didn't get out from behind a thicket of vines/limbs or I would be having hot dogs for lunch.

What would you guys do? Shoot the dogs? I did yell at them and scared them off, then climbed down out of disgust. I'm going back this evening to the acorn tree, maybe I'll have better luck.

Would shooting the dogs be wrong? If you ask me, if people don't care enough to keep them penned or on a chain(or on their own property) they don't care if they get shot. I'm just aggravated right now I guess. ARGH I HATE DOGS!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what a day

I wouldn't shoot a dog. Is it your land? If not you have no right to even consider shooting a dog. What if it's the landowners dogs and old muttly shows up on his step with an arrow through him..There goes your hunting privilege.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Wisconsin it is illegal for dogs to chase deer on private land, many dogs have been shot at that were chasing deer in this state.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:11 AM

I would be mad but I dont think I would get mad enough to shoot a dog.The deer are probably used to them so it will not affect there pattern.I would just go back and hunt it again.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:51 AM

In MN, between Jan. 1 and July 14, anyone seeing dogs pursue big game may shoot them and is not liable for damages for killing the dog. During the hunting seasons; however, only licensed conservation officers and peace officers may kill a dog pursuing.

A while back there was a black lab running the woods around my area, I knew who's he was and asked the ownermultiple times to please keep him tied up or in his yard. Well henever did and allowed his dog to chase deer. One time that black labaggresively backed me into my truck. The next time I saw him, I took advantage of MN's lawand put an end to his running once and for all. I wasn't going to meet that dog in the dark once bow season opened.

I didnt want to do it, but he was aggresive and the owner obviously didnt care. Give me an owner who cares and a dog who isn't a threat and itwould have been different.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:57 PM

guess if would depend on if the dogs would chase me to or from my stand.If they came after me then ya its a dead dog for sure.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Wisconsin it is illegal for dogs to chase deer on private land, many dogs have been shot at that were chasing deer in this state.
Also illegal to shoot a dog, they are considered private property!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Yea, it is my property. It's not so much I hate dogs, I hate those dogs. They have always been a common nuisence, I've been squirrel hunting before and they came at me, not wanting to play either. They were quite aggressive. I believe their collie/chow mix. No one around here claims them, and my grandfather (whom I live with and whom owns the land) says they're always running around causing problems here, and chasing off his rabbits! So, I guess I need to check local laws, but they're are no collars/tags on them, no one will claim them, and I do believe it is an Indiana state law that you must keep your dog on a chain or in a pen. So, if I can, the dogs won't be around again, if I see them again.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be mad but I dont think I would get mad enough to shoot a dog.
My feelings as well. Are they wild dogs or do you know if they belong to someone?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Well, to summarize. The dogs have no tags, no collars, and no one is admitting to owning them. The dogs have been a nuscience for a while, and no one wants to admit their dogs are the ones doing this. And the town I live in is a small town, everybody knows everybody, and where I live is pretty secluded, 50+ acres wooded with about 15 acres being a field. All the neighbors have been contacted and said "no, not our dogs, don't knows whose they are, they're a pain the the @$$, get rid of them." So I don't know what to do now. If I can't legally dispatch them, I'll just have to keep scaring them off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.