Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cock vane up or down? >

Cock vane up or down?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cock vane up or down?

Old 08-27-2005, 06:03 AM

Default RE: Cock vane up or down?

I have better luck with my cock vane down. That puts the other 2 up in the clear area above the rest. As long as the rest drops fast enough, there isn't any contact. Witt the cock vane up, the other 2 vanes are angled down at the sides of the rest. That's the way it is on my DZ anyway.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly, with my hunting set up my bow is shooting 280 fps if my COCK vein isn't down it will hit on occcasion. It's just an opinion on an opinion forum do what ever you want with your cock.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:53 AM

Bigbulls is correct andcouldnt have made it any clearer.

It DOES NOT matter which vane/feather passes through therest. If you want to make it the cock vane, go ahead, if you want to make a hen fletch go through, go ahead, if you want the cock vane up....GO AHEAD!! Just MAKE SURE you dont have fletching contact. Doesnt matter what kind of rest either, they all need to be checked for and eliminate any fletching contact. (except whisker biscuits and the like)

Also,most drop-aways(if setup properly) should still be able to get out of the way of even the fastest bows. In most cases they are "dropped"by a spring, and the bows forward cable movement. This ensures they are out of the way by the time the fletchinggets there.They are not actually "dropping" but being propelled downward.

Bottom line is, check to make sure you dont have fletching contact (no matter what rest you use). Then orient the fletchings/nock to allow the best clearance possible. Then make sure they are all the same, and shoot.

Have fun---Matt
Old 08-27-2005, 10:02 AM

I have a drop away rest and you can have your arrow cock up or down which ever you prefer.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

It may matter if there is a clearance issue.Clearly you are not having a clearance issue if it is the same either way,but on some drop aways the vane will hit the rest if it is pointed down,so you would need turn the odd color vane up...Isn't that better than the other term...Just as finger shooters without deep cutouts have to put the odd color vane to the left,so the two other ones are straight up and down parallel to the riser.On the WB I shoot with the odd color vane up.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife likes my cock vain up to.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

Is that cock vane, cock vain, or cock vein? [8D]
LOL I can't believe I amin my 30'sand laughed ashard (ha) as I did at that post. Then again I did just rent "jackass"
Old 08-27-2005, 11:56 PM

Well guys, I havent checked this post since I started it. Been busy. But Thank you toeveryone for the help. My arrows fly fine either cock vane up or down. ( or odd fletching ) (I liked that one). So I chose up....... no particular reason why..... well maby because my cock up just seems right. Well let me also say I LMAO reading all the replys. Good Luck to everyone this season. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: callemin

I have a new QAD drop away rest and cant remember if it is cock vane up or cock vane down. It seems to shoot the same either way.
Thanks in advance.
Fletch with four feathers and that's one less thing to worry about.