Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 arrow trajectory? >

arrow trajectory?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow trajectory?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Default RE: arrow trajectory?

There's an outdoor range I go to with a raisedshooting platform that's 12 feet high. I don'tgo through the motion of aiming over my target then bending my waist to get on target. But, I can always group. Are you saying that this motion is necessary to hit my target? If so why? Please forgive the novice inquiry.
when you change heights, you are not going to be able to drop your arm the same amount, you will have to drop it more or less depending on how close or how far the target is. So if you want to hunt higher or lower than the 12 foot sight in height, bending at the waist makes it possible to group from different heights. If you always hunt from a 12 foot height what your doing would be OK. but when you change heights impact points will alos change.. the differences you are worried about with the gravity and the vector thing are not enough to keep you out of the kill zone.. what will keep you out of the kill zone are height changes and your nerves when the live target shows up..

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that using your 40 yd pin on a deer 5 yds from your tree, no matter how high you are is a recipe for a certain miss.
with my set up, on the ground when I am five yards away from the target, I use my 35 yard pin. the closer I get to a target the longer pin I use. when I'm 3 yards away from a target, I use a 42 yard pin, If i'm 2yards away I need a 60 yard pin.

you really need to go close to your target and try this, you will be amazed, reason most miss from a blind close up within 5 yards because they put thier 20 yard pin low on the deer and shoot under it. the 20 yard pin needs to go high on the deer or even above it to hit the kill zone. reason is the arrow travels an arc.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dohcrxl

Arthur P, your mention of the Pythagorean Theorum leads me to believe that it doesn't matter how high you are in the tree, you must always shoot at the deer depending on how far it is from the base of the tree.

BINGO!!!! We have a winner!! DING DING DING!!! Yes, sorry my explanation was a little confusing, but this is whatI was trying to tell you. Your arrow drops because of gravity. Gravity pulls down on the arrow over the horizontal distance that it travels. The farther it goes the more it is pulled down. SO to answer how to know where to aim, you must figure out the horizontal distance between you and the intended target. How high up you are doesn't matter. You must know the distance from the base of the tree to the deer. That is why when I put up a stand, I measure the distance from the base of the tree to where I think the deer will be. Then when the deer is there I already know the horizontal distance to it, and I can center punch his lungs
Old 08-25-2005, 09:48 AM

I've been at this game for 15years and I've arrowed my fair share of deer..... I've never changed anything from sighting on the ground to shooting from a tree..... If he looks 15yds, I shoot for 15yds.... I've never hada problem.....
Old 08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

with my set up, on the ground when I am five yards away from the target, I use my 35 yard pin. the closer I get to a target the longer pin I use. when I'm 3 yards away from a target, I use a 42 yard pin, If i'm 2yards away I need a 60 yard pin.

you really need to go close to your target and try this, you will be amazed...
Every so often our club sets up a snake shot for our 3D club shoots. Distance is generally 3-4 yards. The traditional guys clean up on it but it totally rips most of the sights shooters. It's a real eye opener for folks who never practice shots closer than 20 yards.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Use Pythagorean Theorem
The square of the hypotenuse = the square of the adjacent times the square of the opposite.
Hypotenuse=C, Opposite=B, Adjacent=A
Or C= the square root of the square of the adjacent times the square of the opposite
c2 = a2 + b2
Old 08-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You dont need to go and hanga stand in your yard to practice treestand shots. I assume you have a roof... use it. Or a balcony if you live in an apartment complex. Granted if your on the 5th story, this advice isnt valid [8D]

The one thing to remember, when judging yardage, is when your 25 feet up in a tree, look straight ahead of you and find something close to where the deer is standing. Looking down at the angle WILL throw off your judgement if all you practice judging is on level ground. Look for a tree or other object thats in line with your line of vision at 25'. Makes judging yardage much easier for me!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 PM

Thank you very mucheveryone, it is all clear now.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller
You dont need to go and hanga stand in your yard to practice treestand shots. I assume you have a roof... use it. Or a balcony if you live in an apartment complex. Granted if your on the 5th story, this advice isnt valid [8D]
Hey, I just did this! [8D]

I took my old PSE bow and two XX75 arrows w/field tips up on my back porch roof of my house. I placed that cheap little Wal-Mart styrofoam target thing out in front of the pine tree in my back yard exactly 20 yards away. I estimated I was probably 16-17 feet up (my bow and line of sight that is, not the height at my feet).

I nocked an arrow and relaxed, concentrated, remembered all the advice on this board about bow shooting form and bending from the waist. I stood straight up, my bow arm was perfectly straight, and as I drew back I was looking at the trees in the far back yard through my peep sight! I kept the same form and then bent down from the waist and aligned the 20yd pin with the small bullseye on the target. I slowly pressed the trigger on my release, and THWACK!!! I put the arrow right directly in the bullseye of the target.

Then just to see the difference in what everyone is talking about and whatnot, I nocked the other XX75 arrow and this time, I just goofed around. I stood there again and drew back, but this time, I kept my body straightand lowered my bow arm. My release and anchor point were now in the middle of my ear! I sighted the 20yd pin to the center bullseye and hit the release. Guess what happend....
I hit the ground right in front of the target! [:-] The improper lowering of the bow arm, caused me to view the target picture as though it were 18 yards instead of 20 and totally threw me off.

Lesson for the day: ALWAYS bend from the waist and shoot the arrow along the "hypotenuse" of the angle. If the distance is 30 yards, shoot for 30 yards. 15 yards, shoot for 15 yards, etc...etc...etc...

Butch A.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:11 PM

bingo another winner,, now all ya got to do is remember to do it when Mr. big is down there. Now go close about 7 yards or so and use a 35 -40 yard pin and see where the arrow impacts. then you'll know what to do when one walks in really close to ya.. good luck...
Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

7 yards away? I doubt I'd ever have a nice 8 pointer at 7 yards on public land.... [&o] The closest I have ever had a nice big 8 pointer was 20 yards, and he was spooked and real jittery by other hunters. (I still can't get over the fact that I sailed that arrow right over his back last season... What a golden opportunity... He was mine... all mine... I still have dreams about hunting this big 8 pointer! )

Another trick that I do in the woods, is make mental notes on the distance of rocks, logs, and most importantly, my sent wicks. Ipace out the distance from the sent wicks tomy treestand. With me being 6' tall and size 11 shoes, I can span one whole yard with onebig step - and I'mpretty close to the actual distance+/- a foot or so.

Butch A.

Quick Reply: arrow trajectory?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.