Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corn for deer?

Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn for deer?

this isnt baiting to anyone?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Baiting?????? I drive past a Waffle House on the way to my hunting area, now thats baiting, gotta have them patty melts!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead

Baiting?????? I drive past a Waffle House on the way to my hunting area, now thats baiting, gotta have them patty melts!!!!
Now THAT is definately baiting!!!

I wont be hunting over this corn because it is not legal in virginia. I do plan on putting it out to get some good pics and to get a feel for the deer herd. I am more in to deer management than any thing else at this point. Even if there is not a hugh amount of deer, I would like what amount there actually is to be healthy. In the course of the next few years there will be multiple food plots put in as well.

Keep in mind this brand new property for me and I'm so excited I cant stand to even be around myself! I am a meat hunter anyways, yes I have shot a nice 8 pointer with my bow but I would rather have fresh meat any day.

Thanks for all the replies every one.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

HA!!! Patty Melts... you're killin' me....
Old 08-19-2005, 10:39 PM

dab nam ithe stoll my idear
ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

I like to put out cans of corn at 20, 30, and 40 yds. then I tie the can opener to a licking branch over a mock scrape. boy o boy, I can't wait.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 PM

I feed off and on thru the summer and late in the winter months. We can't hunt over a baited area here.. Two reasons I feed during the summer: 1st... I feed a mix from the feed store of corn,molasses,oats, and a detox which I feed to help rid the local herd of parasites and ensure health....2nd for some trailcam pics to see what I'll be hunting...As for the late winter feeding well just to help the deer come out of the winter healthy and ready togive birth tofawns and grow horns..Sono I don't just feed straight corn
Old 08-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

We feed deer all winter long. Feeding then "corn screenings" out of the combine and just dump a Gator load on the ground. They don't seem to mind eating it and even when its almost gone they still dig and eat what little thay can find.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have always had the theory that if you scatter a smaller amount of corn, the deer have to spend more time with their heads down searching for the corn. As apposed to walking up to the buffet pile where there is no question where the corn is.

I frequentlyhunt state sponsered hunts which allow baiting durring the hunt only. Thus, most deer are not acustom to eating corn and you have to put what ever on it that will catch their sence of smell and bring them to the corned area.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:30 PM

When guys in Texas bait, most of us sprinkle out very little corn at a time. I'll normally sprinkle out some corn down each sendero and ranch road that I can see out of my blind. I'm covering hundreds of yards each time, yet I rarely use a full 50# bag. The point in sprinkling corn in Texas is to get the deer to stop long enough for a shotas they are crossing from sendero to sendero.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 AM

when you put your corn out get a jar of peanut butter a nd sperad it on the trees or what ever you can deer will find the corn quicker.

Quick Reply: Corn for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.