Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oak Thickets

Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Oak Thickets

I am hunting a new area this year and after scouting all summer, I'm still not sure where to hunt. I am scouting an area where lots of finger ridges run together into one big ridge. The thing is that the whole area is laced with oaks and there are tons of acorns from years past on the ground. I talked with my hunting buddy who has hunted this area for years and according to him when the mast drops really heavy you hardly see a deer during the day but when the mast is sparse then hunting is excelent. My Question is why is that?? You would think that it would be the opposite hunting the oak thickets. Is it because the acorns are so spread out?? How do you hunt these conditions??
Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Oak Thickets

They dont have to move to eat. hey they are lazy like we are.Would you rather walk to the grocery store to eat or go to the frig ????? That basic
Old 08-17-2005, 02:25 PM

If the mast is heavy you have to get closer to the bedding areas because they won't move far. They will pass some oak trees up over others. I believe they prefer White Oak acorns. Find that source with deer sign around it and you should see animals. Food source is only part of the equation. Look for deer sign and also where do they go for water? Lots of variables.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

They dont have to move to eat. hey they are lazy like we are.Would you rather walk to the grocery store to eat or go to the frig ????? That basic
This is true. We had acorns under every tree here in TX last year and they did not
move as much as when the mast is light.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 PM

If you have oaks everywhere then that should not be your primary focus at all. Find out where the doe are bedding and then find out where other doe are bedding and set up right in between those two areas. Also, look for classic funnels and terrain features as the rut will get them moving. It always does.

TBO
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Oh by the way, I know deer love white oaks. However, the best stands of oaks that I have hunted were #1. a flat along a river containing several huge red oaks #2 A large wood lot loaded with very large mature pin oaks.

TBO
Old 08-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Unless the area has a lot of springs or small seeps key on a water source between the oaks and the bedding areas . Deer must have water to aid in digesting the mast , and to alleviate thirst . They can go for awhile without food , but they have to drink daily .
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an area I've hunted.
Another thought about all those fingers and ridges...
If you're on the move during the day instead of sitting on stand, and are walking the ridgetop, keep an eye out below you. I can't tell you how many deer I've jumped that were just out of sight bedded down about 1/4 to 1/3 the way down the hillside at mid-day.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

all those fingers that lead into one big ridge sounds like a great place for a funnel, have you scouted that enough and do you have a stand there? Right now deer are not worried about the acorns they have corn and soybeans they are munching on right now until them are picked, they wont really be focusing in on those acorns. They might browse there at night on there way back to the bedding area, you need to focus on the primary food source, not the secondary! Once the buffett is gone, they head back into the woods to clean up and get ready for winter and the rut.