Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed >

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

Hey Shed,
Long time no talk. Not sure if you remember me or not but we had a talk a while back about the HIV virus and possible treatment by taking the human with the mutated receptor and putting that receptor on T-cells during the early stages of HIV. Well i found out it does work. But lets talk scientifically about scent lock and antimicrobial. So if the carbon molecule catches our human misc. odors and they attach. What is to say that at a certain temp, that bond between the two will break and not go back once the dryer has cooled? or what is to say that whatever misc. odor molecule will break at that temp.? Also, antimicrobial.. i agree that a lot of scent comes frommicrobes and there odors...but our body has trillions of them and even bathing in anti-microbial soap cant' kill them all off....i mean you have something in the relm of 100,000 microbes per one square centemeter on your elbow...imagine in areas you sweet?? However, i agree with you in that we put in so much time to get that big buck..even if they only help us 1% of the time..that 1% would be worth it for me...so, can you respond to me either as a post or by email [email protected] and explain it to me a little more scientific.
Thanks for your time.
Good luck hunting. (p.s. my archery season opens saturday, will post pics of the monster. lol)
Josh
Old 08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

I think a lot of people on here would be interested to see him respond via the forum. By the way, who is shed?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I would like to hear this one myself.......
Old 08-16-2005, 04:48 PM

The molecules don't reattach because of the air flow. Once they have been busted loose, the air circulation from the dryer forces them out. But, it's not 100%. Even ScentLok says it is only 85-90%. That means that 85-90% of the "caves" in the carbon are open and available to adsorb more scent.
The reason a dryer works is because human scent molecules don't need to be heated to such high extremes to bust loose. Chemical odors, on the other hand, do. That is why we are told not to pump gas in ScentLok, those odors just can't be forced out.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so you know i am not trying to attack Shed on this...But i know his smarts...lol...and the degrees he holds and know he could explain this for me...

mobowhuntr

How do you know that at the temp. the bond..(covalent) will break apart? and how can it be said that the air flow will pick them up...again, not trying to prove anyone wrong or start an argument..just hoping for the best scientific explanation...anyone know what kind of carbon is used? i myslef use scent blocker..so i am not trying to prove it wrong or anything...just curious as to how they claim it works...i can see the first time you use it..if kept in a scent free bag and what not..but after that...not sure...
Old 08-16-2005, 05:00 PM

Because the dryer doesn't recirculate the same air. It goes to the vent that goes outside.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh. ok. i guess i can see that...but still my understanding is that it would take a lot more friction or heat to break those bonds..not something of that low heat...otherwise charcoal (made of carbon) couldn't burn a b-b-quer...it would just lite and then be gone into a gas....
Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Yes, but it goes back to the scent molecule. All molecules require a different temp at which they dislodge. Fortunatly, human scent molecules require a rather low temp. to dislodge.
What happens is when the molecules heat up, the begin to shimmy and shake. Then, the air being forced through the fabric from the dryer forces them out. Molecules begin to move when heated. That's why hot water cleans better than cold. Same basic principle. Some molecules just need to be "superheated" before that happens. Not so with human scent.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

But it is not the molecule that gets away..it is the bond that has to break in order for it to be seperated...so a carbon bonding with some misc. human scent (not sure what mixture of molecules it would be) will just break with the heat and some air blowing on them? not sure, but i would think that these bonds are not going to just be one moelcuel to one molecule...not sure, but i believe carbon can bond to four different molecules (depending on size) making it very stable and hard to break..even if the molecules of human scent are unstable then they may break off...soo., yea i guess i can see that...but what kind of molecules are human scent made up of? what kind of bonds do they have?......again, not arguing with you. just wondering...i mean you can do a dummy test...smell your clothes...wash them and dry them..then smell again...obviously to our smelling ability it smells better..but what about to a deer...did it improve that much?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh,

It's been a long time, man I wondered if you fell off the face of the earth.Its good to see you.... I am little perplexed by yourquestion, the bond during regeneration is suppose to breakso the carbon cangain surface area and work again and again and again, its like dumping the trash...... Is your question..... ???? Will the carbon containing absorbtive property weaken, break down and ulitmately not attatch to scent molecules? From what I understand the process of desorption happens at a very low temperature as to where reactivation needs a much higher intense heat. That bond between the human scent that has been captured by the carbon does break in regeneration, thus purging the"bad" moleculeand allowingthe carbon to work again in its next application.The purged molecules blow out the dryer vent.If the carbon couldn't purge the captured molecules it would load up and be useless. My main point was NOT TO SAY scent lok is KEY or NEEDED..its not..yet that it does absorb and can be purged at lower temps..thats it..................

I do believe with the science backing it, it can and will help contain some, I repeat some offensive scent molecules. For me that's enough. Like you said even if that 1% makes the difference in one buck that I am after offering me a shot opportunity its worth the 100.00 I spent on the liner suit. I do buy a new suit every 2 years...it only is logical that the carbon will eventuallynotlose absorbtive capabilities be it surfaceareaorweakening.

I honestly believe the biggest problem with any carbon containment clothing is how a hunter uses it (application). You can't just throw on scent lok and think...man I am good to go now...the wind doesn't matter. I believe you have to be as clean as you can before you put the scent lok on and then play the wind as best you can as well. I have done some serious testing in this one specific spot where the wind blows down adraw in the evenings on feeding deer......using my scent lok suit versus not wearing it in the summers, 90+ degree evenings and as temps are high we know molecules are moving vigerously. What I witness from washing, exfoliating, spraying down, putting my scent lok, spraying down again....and then dressing in the woods with clean baking soda prepaired hunting outer wear....... versus just wearing my street cloths is that deer definately,react morenegatively to me inmy street cloths where as the with the scent minimization approach almost always they may look up...look around even scent check a bit but them go back to feeding. Ideduct that thescent stream seems weakend enough to not stimulate a fight or flight response,thats what I am looking for. I spend a lot of time sitting on the ground videoing and when I don't go through my entire scent minimization process, I almost always see a definable difference with the same deer that pass through and we are talking about the same resident does and bucks that pass by routinely.

As with Scent lok, with Anti MicrobialI am only trying to weaken some more of the offensive scent molecules, this concept seems to be more proactive than reactive like that of carbon clothing.... Here where I hunt, the thermals, mountains, valleys, ridges do NOT allow for one steady wind direction I am sorry, they don't. I play the thermals more than anything because they are the most consistent of the inconsistencies! So call me a scent minimization junkee... not a scent elimination junkee...

Hey good luck hunting this season, I want to see pics of that monster....mine opens in two weeks... I got a couple decent ones I am after ....

Troy

Quick Reply: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.