Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
?'s about Moon phases >

?'s about Moon phases

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

?'s about Moon phases

Old 09-24-2002, 02:43 PM

Default ?'s about Moon phases

How does everybody feel about moon phases? How do you think this affects deer activity? What are your preferred moon phases to hunt?
I hear that a new moon is a great time to hunt all day. Is this true?
Old 09-24-2002, 03:18 PM

Default RE: ?'s about Moon phases

I have never paid much attention to it myself - I hunt whenever I can so I go no matter the moon. The other day I was out & saw lots of deer, the moon was full or just about full & saw them just about 7 in the afternoon with plenty of daylight still.

I would imagine it could have an impact but like I said I always hunt when I can so I just go no matter the weather or the moon.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:55 PM

I'm certainly no expert on the subject but here is what I've observed. It seems there is more night time deer activity during the full moon phase which equates to less day time activity. The reverse for new moon phase. My read on this is deer have more light to see by during the full moon so they are more comfortable feeding all night. Since they feed more at night during this period they are less active during the day. Again, the reverse for new moon periods. Don't take this for gospel. It's just my take on the subject. I think ultimately the difference between day and night activity is influenced to a greater degree by other environmental factors such as cover, available food sources and hunting pressure.

Hunt hard or go home !
Old 09-24-2002, 05:38 PM

During a new moon I hunt early and late, a full moon finds me in the woods during mid-day.