Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many still use homemade tree stands? >

How many still use homemade tree stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many still use homemade tree stands?

Old 07-21-2005, 03:10 PM

Default How many still use homemade tree stands?

I just finished making one myself, a hang-on, for $24, and was wondering if anyone else is as stupid and foolish as I am.

Actually, I have complete faith in the treestand I have built, and after looking at the hang on treestands that are out there on the market, I'll trust my health and welfare to mine over many of them.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Default RE: How many still use homemade tree stands?

I often weld-up my own stands, and they usually turn out pretty nice. SOmetimes a little heavy, but I don't plan on carrying them all over, thats what my climber is for, these usually move once a year at the most. I have a ton of Ratchet straps from the local Harley Dealership that I use for strapping the stands to the trees. The straps are used to hold the bikes in the Crates.
I trust my stands enough to hand them 30' high and never think twice about it.

The only ones that get me nervous are the permenant-home built wood stands that have been nailed in the trees for many many years.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be using one this season. Its a wooden stand about 18 foot off the tree. Ratchet straped to the tree. This year will be the last year for it.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

It seemseasier and nearly as cheap to buy one but I too build my own stand but I do have an out .My metal is scrap from work.I pick up before they throw away any square tubing that is at least 18 inchs or longer and at least end up with a new stand a year.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pic of my homemade stand.Built it in 2000 and still holding up strong,just recently painted it and replaced the bolts

Old 07-22-2005, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 4 permanent wood stands that i just keep fixing every year because they are nice and big and if you check them every year before season you can have a big safe comfortable stand.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

my buddy and i have 30-40 home made stands hung around the state. some have been up for close to 20 years. they are welded up out of 1x1 angle w/plywood platforms & seats. attached w/ chain & boomers. only maintenance is to replace plywood chewed up by varmits & resetting due to tree growth. they seem to be as good or better than the commercial ones. we are now starting to build ladder stands as they are a lot easier to get into as you get older.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use one but the is nothing foolish or stupid about it because I guarantee you they are stronger than any stand on the market.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:58 AM

Hey guys- I use the type that are permanently attached to the tree and routinly check them for stability. I was planning on building a ladder type this weekend. Does anyone have any plans for such a stand? Your help is much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:31 AM

this guy has some do-it-yourself stuff on his page, including a ladder stand. I don't weld so i'm not sure how sound it is.

Ken B

http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/home.htm

http://peteward.com/ladderstand.jpg

Quick Reply: How many still use homemade tree stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.