Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial >

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Well, as I am sure you all have seen, one of the newest rages in deer hunting is antimicrobial clothing. X Scent, Contain, EnduraSkin, that sort of thing. Add to that the new line of enzyme scent control soaps, ie, dead down wind, (www.deaddownwind.com).
I will admit the concept here is much more believable than odor adsorbing clothing. My question is this.

There is a lot of debate about whether odor adsorbing clothing works or not, but what do you think about antimicrobial. Just another gimik, or is this the real deal?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

I just commented about it in another thread on this forum. I bought a set of antimicrobial undergarments from Cabelas last season. It was a store brand and "Tech Silk Weight" in design. I believe it works quite well. I cannot say that I saw more deer than ever before last year but I did see quite a few closeup and quite a few bucks at that. I was able to wear it as my sole undergarment until temps dropped into the low 30s overnight.

Great stuff and I do plan on buying another set for this season.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a light jersey outfit for bow hunting that's Ab-Scent , and it does seem to work if you don't get real sweaty . The soap product that you probably used before your last hunt to descent yourself would have contained Triclosan , an extremely common antibacterial agent . Any reduction of your scent bloom that can be masked or eliminated improves your odds of seeing game , and that adds confidence .
Old 07-21-2005, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the antimicrobial idea a lot better than the grab any odor in the air until it's full scent lock idea.
I own and don't use a pair of scent locks because they always smelled like wet paint to me. WhenI did wear themI was always worried about what smells they had soaked up and when they were spent or not spent. Who really knew?

With the antimicrobial I can bathe in the earth scent antimicrobial soap (love it- smells like dirt!), put an earth scented disc in my camo box and the entire box of clothes smells like fresh dirt/mud (just like where I hunt). The antimicrobial can do it's job and I can still use a cover scent. This is the ticket for my style of hunting.

So farI have only purchased the shannon bug tamer 3-d with "contain", but when it comes time for new camo's, I know where I'll be spending my money.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 AM

I bought the abscent a couple years ago and did this. I worked out and worked up a pretty good sweat so that I could smell myself. I put on the abscent and wore it for a few hours and could not smell myself at all, so I would say that it does work.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:19 PM

I've not bought anything but the socks yet but I, like yourself, see more credibility in antimicrobial X-Scent stuff than I do the absorbtion charcoal clothing. I hope to get the full outfit of X-Scent products before this season, especially the head gear. Hopefully I'll have a great success story to tell about it.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Gimmick...........just like 99% of the products marketed to hunters.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:07 PM

I have a stand location where it is not uncommon for me to see 10-12 deer a day, but I always have carbon spray on my clothing, when I 4get to put it on there is a noticeable drop in deer activity.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

TTT we need more talk on the subject of "Dead Down Wind" thebacteria killing (preventing)product. Link to there website. I feel the same as some stated above, it's easier to believe than the Scent Lok system.

I know it's new, buthas anyone bought thisstuff yet?I'm going to give it a try.

Chatter on...
Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Has everyone given up on Carbon Blast and White Lightning? That's whatI use and I've had some very close encounters with some completely unsuspecting does.

Quick Reply: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.