Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Next Day Deer

Old 08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Next Day Deer

Just curious, How many of you have waited to recover a late afternoon shot deer till the next morning in warm weather bow season? And if you did was it spoiled or on the verge of spoiling?
I have always gone back at night with lanterns and friends help but it seems that it would be so much easier in the daylight of the next morning.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:45 PM

Default RE: Next Day Deer

I've been wondering the same thing.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have never left them in the early season.I don't feel comfortable waiting if the temps don't get below 45.That's what sick days are for.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

No i dont usually wait that long i go at night like your with flashlights and a couple guys.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Mr D, but that's why god made flashlights. Besides you won't be able to sleep that night anyway. I have only seen two deer that were shot and then retreived the next day and they were both deemed "total losses" by group consensus. i don't know what the temp would have to be to make it ok, but if you're only huntin in a shirt, I would say "have to" get em out. just an opinion.

You can definately try to find some help and come back within a reasonble time. Think of it as a second adventure. I've had some funny moments lookin for dead critters at night w/ a couple of buddies.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have no problem going out at night and have done it many many times with great success but much prefer a morning hunt with a lot of daylight leftfor tracking to an evening hunt where I kown a night time search is inevitable
Old 08-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah,I can't sleep without knowing I just can't find them.Me,and a friend searched for 3 hours,until our lights died.We went first thing the next morning,and the hog was 30yds away from our last spot..Yep,all that for a hog .He was solid black,and we couldn't see him.He had shot him with a rocket steelhead,and there was no blood even though the hog only went 75yds.I know alot of people who prefer to go out in the morn.I see more deer in the afternoons though.But you are right.It is alot nicer to have all the time you need.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problems tracking at night, pretty much the only time I'll let one go all night is if it needs if cause of a marginal shot. I had to go get one buck the following morning with temps only dipping to the 40s. I had no problems with the meat.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never wait till morning and when it is warm all your going to find is a blown up balloon
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't wait until the next day but i'm in florida so the meat would spoil pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Next Day Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.