Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial >

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

I sent an e-mail to fastestbows.com asking the columnist who wrote those aforementioned articles to give his thoughts on antimicrobial clothing. We already know he how feels about carbon.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

I tried X-Scent's socks and really liked them. I now own the pants and shirt as well. If you don't believe their products work take their challenge and wear the socks for 4 days straight and see for yourself.
I wore them for 2 weeks to test them out. My feet can really stink and they barely stunk at all. It made me buy more! Plus, I tried the same test with "normal" socks to compare. My wife forced me to throw them away after 10 days. They were stinky and I got some serious athlete's foot! [:@][:'(]
Old 08-17-2005, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

I sent an e-mail to fastestbows.com asking the columnist who wrote those aforementioned articles to give his thoughts on antimicrobial clothing. We already know he how feels about carbon.
He already has. It is on the Fastest Bow site as well. He reviews the X-Scent product line very favorably, and mentions the sock test, which he took himself, and also that the US Army is using the socks in Iraq to great effect.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

I will be field testing my new Xscent garments in 14 days! right underneath my Scent lok Liner... eat your heart out ATLAS!!!!!!
Why would I care if you choose to throw your money away on a useless product? It is your money and your choice.

I mean come on, do you really think everyone in the scent containment industry is a scam artist?
I just look at the facts. The product they push CAN'T work the way they claim and they are making millions from people who believe it can. You can form your own conclusions.

The oldest and largest buck I have ever killed came in from dead down wind...and I was very clean and prepaired for that scenario.
Means absolutely nothing.........single random case studies are useless to evaluate a product. Too many variables to even count. Scientific studies are all done strictly regulated for a reason.

I will be glad to talk science with you too.. Regeneration of carbon clothing does not take high intense heats...YES reactivation does... but not regeneration...

Show me the science.........those 2 words are used synonimously in the industry. Don't believe me??......Do a google search on carbon regeneration.

below is some ofwhat DR. SHULONG LI, and expert in carbon technology and textile applications had to say....

When carbon is used to filter or treat industrial waste it does in fact need to be reactivated at extreme high temperatures, yet when it is needed to remove less volatile substances such as human scent it only need be regenerated. During regenerationat temperatures under 130 degrees removalofsolvents, gasoline vapor, chloroform and methanol all which can be perged by activated carbon.
Again........show me the science..........not someone's quote..........I have no idea who he is or who paid him to say that. Show me the documented science that says through a controlled study that human scent is removed from carbon in a dryer.

Not to mention that dryers go over 130.......and no human I know puts off gas vapors, chloroform or methanol vapors as BO (maybe a few boozers have some methanol in their BO)............so that is meaningless also.

He goes on to say in Scent loks case... "washing and drying in a home dryer will certainly remove some of the absorbed materials and any of the odors."
Show me the science.........not a guys opinion that can be bought. (Not saying it was).........but that it could be.

There is a big difference between reactivation and regeneration.... and its application in the hunting world.
Prove it.

I personally don't believeany one thingcan totally mask our scent, but a total scent control approach including a carbon suit can help and often weaken our scent enough to allow deer to feel at ease......as ifthe scent is fruther away or not dangerous enough to be alarming to them....I have witnessed it over and over again while hunting, scouting/filming in the hot weather.. 90+ degree days when deer are dead down wind of me... Still playing the wind is key, but in mountains I hunt, thermals and wind currents NEVER play fair, like in the flatlands.....Plus come on, any smart buck is going to come in down wind of any call for the most part.. why not be a little more prepaired by being as clean as you can be, and minimizing as much scent as possible...
A million guys can say the same thing and they never wear carbon...........sure your scent is important.........carbon suits don't help cover it though.

My philosophy is simple..A big mature bucks lives by HIS NOSE... NOSE NOSE...why not try to combat your scent in any way that has good science backing it
Good science backing it?? Please show us where it is.

test it and if it works..use it..if not..do a way with it..it cant hurt
So some guy spending $400 on a suit that doesn't work is not getting hurt?

if it helps ...It may mean the difference between a slight foot stomp and then munch munch again...versus an all out SNORT and gone......
I'm not much for the lottery mentality.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Enough arguing or this one's gonna go visit the other thread in the black abyss of HNI waste. Everyone can form their own opinions and do as they please when it comes to activated carbon, anti-microbial, or platnum-plated clothing and it shouldn't matter in the least bit to the next guy down the road.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:37 PM

Justin, just for the record, because I know of your goal to have me banned by December......( ).......I started this thread well in advance of the scams thread.....Nice banner by the way....
Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas have you ever harvested a mature buck with your bow. Prove it to me.

waiting....... lets play the prove itgame... yahoo....

"yawns" I better get to bed... work comes early ...
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 PM

read an article about three people who dressed in scentlok and buried themselves in the snow to test the effectiveness. the search dogs found them as quickly as the would anyone else. ill look for it and let you all know where i found it.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

Atlas have you ever harvested a mature buck with your bow. Prove it to me.

waiting....... lets play the prove itgame... yahoo....

"yawns" I better get to bed... work comes early ...
You first
Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Again........show me the science..........not someone's quote..........I have no idea who he is or who paid him to say that. Show me the documented science that says through a controlled study that human scent is removed from carbon in a dryer.

Not to mention that dryers go over 130.......and no human I know puts off gas vapors, chloroform or methanol vapors as BO (maybe a few boozers have some methanol in their BO)............so that is meaningless also.
How can you post quotes , or cut & paste different quotes , and then stick your nose up at someone who posts quotes contrary to yours?

Here's a very interesting read for anyone seeking a scientific view point.
http://aqes.cee.uiuc.edu/Publications/AQES/carbon/DimotakisEST1995.pdf

Quick Reply: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.