Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early Season Pre-Rut Scents? >

Early Season Pre-Rut Scents?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Pre-Rut Scents?

Old 07-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early Season Pre-Rut Scents?

What are you using foryour early season pre-rut scent routine, if anything? What are your thoughts on the high dollar vs low end scents? Are the differences really worth the cost?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Early Season Pre-Rut Scents?

Pre rut I use a vanilla scented lure to attract does to a shooting lane , bucks won't be far behind .
Old 07-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't but I do try and create an enviroment that makes them feel safe. Seems to be #1 on their hit parade.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only "pre-rut" scent that I use is plain doe urine or occasionally buck urine if I know there is a dominant buck in the area. With the former I am not really trying to attract bucks but rather just relax the deer with a scent that they are familiar with. The latter tends to only work for me if I have a dominant buck close by.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:37 AM

kevin 1 ,that vanilla scent does not scare deer?i thought deer would be scared of any scent that is not normal in their environment.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer are curious by nature and like the smell of vanilla.
I myself use a scent called curiosity made by.

http://www.bobkirschnerdeerlure.com/directory_page.html

Although I want to see what Rush Creek has to offer.

http://www.rushcreekdeerlure.com

Patti the page is not working?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: newman1

kevin 1 ,that vanilla scent does not scare deer?i thought deer would be scared of any scent that is not normal in their environment.
White oak acorn cover scent made from scratchsmells very similar to vanilla . Deer also like sweet smells . I haven't had any problems with them being spooked by it . Many of the curiosity scents you buy at the store contain licorice smelling anise , have you ever encountered anise in the woods ? I also use persimmon when they're in season , deer will come to that every time even if there isn't a persimmon tree for miles .
Old 07-10-2005, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Pre rut I use a vanilla scented lure to attract does to a shooting lane , bucks won't be far behind .
Would vanilla extract work? Just trying to be a cheapskate. lol.

I'm out
Muratus
Old 07-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Muratus

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Would vanilla extract work? Just trying to be a cheapskate. lol.

I'm out
Muratus
Yes , I use it full strength on Q-tips or unscented tampons(hey , they work), but you can water it down up to 50% if you want to make a larger scent patch or trail. I get mine at a dollar store because I'm kinda cheap too . Don't buy the artificial stuff , get the real vanilla extract .

You can also make a simple sugar syrup and flavor it after it cools for making licks on branches or trunks if it's legal where you live . One cup sugar , one cup water , bring to a boil and cook until it gets slightly thick stirring constantly . Substituting 1/4 cup of brown sugar or molasses for part of the white sugar will make it even more attractive .
Old 07-10-2005, 09:24 AM

do you put vanilla in that syrup?and have you actually had deer lick branches and stumps with that stuff on there?

Quick Reply: Early Season Pre-Rut Scents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.