Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer cocaine??

Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default deer cocaine??

I'm lookign to set up a few new mineral licks in some other areas im considering hunting. I'm going to be using trail cameras on these licks to monitor the bucks in the area. My question is that is it to late in te summer to start a deer cocaine lick, becauseI read that as the temperatures cool down the deer will not use them as much, andI don't want to waste my money.I think I'm gonna go with deer cocaine becuase I'm using it stircly as an attractant, and it seems to be the best on the market for that purpose, but im open to any other ideas too, thanks.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 AM

Default RE: deer cocaine??

I used to sell deer cocaine some people loved it and would never buy anything else some people hated it it has worked good for me just try it and hope it works for you
Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A much more economical and effective mineral lick is the following. Mix it yourself and save a ton of money. Why pay for some namebrand stuff features the SAME ingredients???

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

[/align]
Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used deer cane for a few years now with great success , the deer sometimes become protective over the sites... But Some sites we have stopped replenishing for even up to 2 years now , still get torn up by deer , i dunno if there is still traces of minerals there , or if the deer just eat the dirt out of routine? but it wokrs
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your just looking to set up a camera and get some pictures then go to home depot or walmart and buy a 40 lb. bag of water treatment solar salt. its lke 4$ a bag and will do the trick. just clear out the brush in a 5foot circle and throw it on the ground. some like to dig a hole or mix it up with the soil but the deer will do that for you. it is not too late as deer will use it most likely till the end of the summer. if your looking to grow antlers or improve the health of the deer the recipes mentioned might be better but i believe its more genectics when it comes to minerals.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:35 PM

I used Deer cane for several years. It worked ok, as long as I got the one with mollasses in it. Last year I used the mineral from G-bow, and it worked great. And it didn't have anything sweet in it. They just tore up the ground where I put it. But, I can't use it any more. Illinois changed their laws, and it is now illegal to use any mineral.[:-]
Old 07-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a home made mix deer cocaina and others.

I have used them all with equale good luck.

I have7 mineral licks on the farms I hunt
Most of them the deer have dug out a hole to get the mineral and salt

I don't hunt over them
I put out mineral out in the winter and again in mid summer ( easy axcess)
I find most of time I get more use of the licks in the late winter thru early summer.
IMO the mineral licks help the deer grow a better rack and help the does with the needed minerals.

johnch
Old 07-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Il-Cornfed's formula is good.

Deer cocaine is too expensive and you will get the same results with his formula, all the deer are after is the Calcium which you can provide with just a commercial lyme.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I use lucky buck, but like some of the suggestions here
Old 07-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have used Deer Cocaine for 3 years now. In almost every instance the deer demolished the area. I have ended up with wallows that were close to a foot deep and 6 feet across. I currently have it set up in three locations with deer cameras nearby and expect to have some pictures for you folks shortly.

Great stuff. I am happy to use it.

Quick Reply: deer cocaine??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.