Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade Target Ideas????? >

Homemade Target Ideas?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Target Ideas?????

Old 06-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Homemade Target Ideas?????

hey all i just bought a new exomax and this thing is mean. i have 2 blueridge (i think) dense foam targets and it almost punches right through them both at 20 yards.

i was thinking of using 2, 2x8" boards with threaded rods on each end, put burlap on one side and fill with "stuffing" and put fronmt burlap on then tighten the nuts to compress. but, i have no idea on what to use for stuffing.

i want a target that is cheap, will stop these bolts, and easy to pull out the bolts. so, basically i need to make one myself because the "block" is what i want but it definatly isnt cheap.

thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Target Ideas?????

Buy a "bag" style target. They're cheap...and (in my opinion) 10X better than the block.

I had a block, and hated it. I have 3 bag targets, and they'll stop anything...with ACTUAL 2 finger arrow removal.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 PM

i was just thinking and i have acess to a piece of 8'x4'x10" thick foam. its the same foam that they use for that egg crate pad that goes on your bed or under a sleeping bag.

what should i do with it to make the target? will it even work? im using carbon bolts if it matters any. mostly target points with less than 10 broadhead shots a year.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the bag targets are just stuffed with rags or similar discarded scraps. If you compress them enough I am sure they would stop a bolt from your crossbow. On the other hand I have also seen folks build a similar contraption to what you are proposing but the use layers of cardboard compressed between 2x4s instead.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

use layers of cardboard compressed between 2x4s instead.
That's what I did. Works great and you can shoot broadheads into also although it's a little tough pulling them.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:30 PM

As has been stated already in the thread, spend the money and buy a bag target. You can get some for under $40 and it is worth the time and work you will spend trying to make targets. Ihave made several myself and the bag I bought is the best. It has probably taken at least 100,000 shots and is in good shape. I replace the cover each year, which you can do with materials from home.

The block is a target that I would not recommend. The two finger arrow removal is BS when the target is new, and when they get easy to remove the target is worn out and getting complete pass throughs. I got one in March and it is already worn out, even my recurve is passing through the target.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 PM

i just got finished with my high tech homemade target, took some old work clothes such as a couple flanel jackets, jogging pants and cotton t-shirts. filled up a pillow case and sat on it to compress it and zip tied it closed.

even at 5 yards the bolts only go in halfway and pull out very very easily. im getting a couple feed sacks to put the stuff into and more clothes to make it bigger for long range practise.

saved myself $40 or more
Old 06-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been making mine out of rags for years. I have never had a problem with one yet. I build a box about 4x4 and 12 inches thick which I fill with old rags. If the time comes that youu ae shooting throug h it then just place more rags I use a tarp to make the face.