Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Arrow and field point/ broad head problem >

Arrow and field point/ broad head problem

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Arrow and field point/ broad head problem

Old 09-04-2002, 10:34 AM

Default Arrow and field point/ broad head problem

Hope someone can help because I am driving myself nuts. Here is my setup.
Hoyt Cybertec dual cam @ 70 lbs
- 29.5 inch draw length
- Quick tune 3000 rest
- string loop
- arrow length 30"
If I use xx78 2315 (500 grains total, 258 fps)with 75 grain field point of Muzzy 75 grain broad head. I get perfect bullet hole and field point and broad head impact at the same spot. With 100 grain the broadheads impact slightly lower.
Using ACC 371 ( 268 fps) I can get the field points to group and paper tune but broadhead flight is eratic and inpact as much 6 ins low and slightly right.

Question:
Is it ok to shoot the 2315's with such a light tip 75 grain tip?

Any clue what's happening with the ACC's?

Old 09-04-2002, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Arrow and field point/ broad head problem

I have found that I like a heavier FOC and that boradheads shoot much better this way. As such a good weight range for a 2315 would be a 125 grain head or heavier. Some really good heads to check out are the golden key deadhead, rocky mountain ironhead, muzzy 125, etc.

Out of the ACC you are jumping to a lot faster arrow. I would say you can get away real nice with a 100 grain mechanical such as the golden key demon or reaper. I use ACC's (3-60) myself & like the flight I got with the golden key dead head 125 & the ironhead 125.

Good luck
Old 09-04-2002, 01:25 PM

Moonge,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the 125 grain head. Tell me, what's the pitfalls of using a light broadhead such as 75 grains?
Old 09-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Caribb41, your setup might not fall with in suggested parameters for FOC but more importantly, your arrows are tuned and shooting with your field tips. That's half the battle. The only pitfall to a too light broadhead would be arrow spine, making an arrow too stiff and not getting good flight, that doesn't seem to be the case with you as you mentioned your getting the groups you desire. Going to a heavier head in this case makes no sense for you. The 100 grain, slightly lower, heavier head, more drop, tho probably insignificant.

When you are jumping to ACC's, your bow may be out of tune. I assume you tuned the bow with the aluminums. Aluminums being larger in diameter, sit higher in the arrow rest, when changing to ACC's, slimmer arrow, lower in your rest and possible out of tune. Even tho they may tear paper well enough, the impact points will obviously be different.

I don't see a down fall to you using the 75 gr. Muzzy as long as your arrow flight is good, your impacts points are just and your set to go.

By the way, excellent setup.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-05-2002, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing to check, if you have not already. I have found that with easton aluminum arrows, using easton inserts, I get about 10 or 11 out of 12 that the inserts are straight. ACC`s are a different matter. I don`t think I have ever gotten more than 3 out of a dozen that did not reqiure playing with the inserts to get broadheads to spin true. As I am sure you already know, there ain`t a bow tuner in the world that can tune an arrow with a crooked broadhead screwed in the front.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 09-05-2002, 09:06 AM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input.