Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Climbing stand dilemma

Old 08-24-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Climbing stand dilemma

Hello everyone

This is my first post in this great forum, so I will give yall a bit of a background. I was raised and grew up in Pike county Illinois. I have hunted there all of my life. I have recently moved to New York State (just outside of Albany). I will be hunting on public land this year (I have never done this). I have been looking at climber stands (never used one) for the versatility. I was considering the API Grand Slam Bowhunter. The openness of it seems to be a good for shot mobility. But I have reconsidered because of some of the posts in the forum about Summit climbers. In the summit stands I am considering the Cobra XLS or the Viper XLS. The Viper XLS, from my point being new to climber stands, seems to be a bit more safe because of being enclosed, but I am concerned about shot movement. Any opinions and guidance on my dilemma will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Gabe
Old 08-24-2002, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Climbing stand dilemma

Welcome to the board pull up a chair grab a cold one and enjoy.

Sorry I cant help you with the climber

Old 08-24-2002, 07:14 PM

Hey Pike,

Welcome to the boards. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. From all the hype about the big deer in Illinois (never been there myself) I know you must hate leaving such a good location. I just hope your hunting is as good in NY.

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!
Old 08-24-2002, 07:58 PM

Welcome to the Fourm....Last week I was asking about the Summit Viper VS Warren and Sweat Imperial........This week I own a Summit Viper!.....The Viper is a pleasure to use and pack. I'm glad I chose the Summit.......
Old 08-24-2002, 08:08 PM

Just a heads up almost everyone on this forum is pretty horned up for summit I too think they make a great product almost purchased the bushmaster myself until I looked at Lone Wolf the thing that leaned me tword the Wolf over the Summit was The Lone wolfs fold to 4in. flat for packing and I personnally liked the belt adjusts 1/4 in. incraments as apposed to summits 3in. incraments and the Lone wolfs are quieter and lighter. Do what I did look at both web sites and you descide. I did not like APIs quick clip pin system.

P.S the more portable the more you will use it Lone Wolf rules for over hill and dale.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit makes some excellent climbers. two of my favorite are the viper and the goliath. Both have the rail in front which does hinder shooting somewhat when sitting, but does not get in the way at all when standing. If your really concerned about the rail getting in the way, the Summit Cobra is a great choice, it is comfortable, and rock solid, but doesn't hinder your shooting when sitting down. I just prefer the comfort and secure feeling of the bar wraping around me.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 08-25-2002, 11:50 AM

Welcome aboard Pike. You sure moved to some beautiful country. I lived in Plattsburgh for a few years back in the seventies. Winter was a bear, but I really liked it there.
As far as treestands go, I'm partial to my Lone Wolf alpha climber. You will get as many opinions on this subject as there are stands. Think about the terrain, distance to carry, comfort, and how quiet it is once in the tree (creaking when shifting your weight), and whether you want a sit and climb vs hand climber. There are many good brands out there. Good luck.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"
Old 08-25-2002, 11:58 AM

I love the Summit climbing stands and have great success with them over the years. I like the Bushmaster model so the front is open for bowhunting. I'm sure there was a good reason why you moved to New York but to live in Pike County Illinois and move? I have always dreamed of hunting there. Welcome to the board......
Old 08-25-2002, 01:50 PM

Welcome to the board.
I to will be using a climber for the first time this year. I went
with the summit goliath. It is just a bigger version of the viper.
I like the idea of being closed in also. The viper would be an
excellent choice.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Summit Bushmaster and I like it because of the open front for bowhunting. One good thing about Summit is you can order the climbing portion of the stand directly from them. I'm thinking of ordering a Viper top and use it during gun season. It would be like having two stands in one.

Quick Reply: Climbing stand dilemma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.