Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Wasp Jackhammer 100 grn test results >

Wasp Jackhammer 100 grn test results

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Wasp Jackhammer 100 grn test results

Old 08-24-2002, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wasp Jackhammer 100 grn test results

Wasp Jackhammer 100 grain
Accuracy 5 points
Plywood 3 points
Steel drum 2 points
Orange 2 points
Blades 3 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Total score: 19, Blade sharpness rating of B

The Wasp Jackhammer is a three blade mechanical head. The blades are held closed by an O ring. Their accuracy is excellent, grouping right with my field points. The Jackhammers have a fairly wide cutting diameter 1 ¾”, and the blades are reasonably sharp out of the pack. My only complaint would be that they are slower to open than many other mechanical heads I have tested. I would say they open just a bit faster than the Spitfires made by new archery products. They are also fairly strong, and the blades have little cutouts that allow you to tie them shut for practice.
In the Orange test the Jackhammer only partially opened by the time it exited the far side. In the plywood it did not fully penetrate, but did get most of the way through without any damage. In the steel drum the head penetrated the first wall, and bounced off the far side. One blade had the tip bent, but it was minor, and no cutting ability was lost.
Overall I liked the jackhammers, but they are slower to open than most other heads. They however are strong and sharp. The cutouts in the blades make practicing with them a snap by simply tying the blades shut with dental floss or serving thread. If you are looking for a strong head with a larger cutting diameter the Jackhammers would be a good one to take a look at.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 08-24-2002, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wasp Jackhammer 100 grn test results

5 shot.......I was considering this head. I want a 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" cutting diameter mechanical head. What has been your highest rated 3 blade expandable with a 1 1/2" cutting diameter. I also saw Shockwaves 100 and a couple 1 1/2" models from Rocket. Any reccomentations?

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 08-25-2002, 05:25 AM

Once again Thanks for the review 5 Shot.
I've used these heads in the past but was a little skepticle about using them on Moose, so I returned to the trusty ole Thunderheads.
The owner of the pro shop I frequently visit has lots of African game hanging on his walls and told me they were all taken with these heads
Al

Old 08-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

cloud9, the best 3 blade mechanical head I have tested is the shockwave. It has a 1 1/4" cut and penetrates very well. Rocket sidewinders are pretty good as well, but the blades are not very sharp. The shockwaves are tough, sharp, and accurate. They are not quite as big as you were looking for, but believe me I know they will do the job, lot's of guys here on the board used them last year with excellent results.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS