Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Rocky Revolution test results >

Rocky Revolution test results

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rocky Revolution test results

Old 08-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rocky Revolution test results

Rocky Revolution
Accuracy 5 points
Plywood 3 points
Steel Drum 1 point
Orange 3 points
Blades 3 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Rearward opening blades 1 point
Total Score 20 points with a blade sharpness rating of A
The Rocky revolution is semi-unique head in that it’s blades deploy in a rearward fashion. Instead swinging open as most mechanical heads do. This style of opening has a couple of advantages. The first is that it should provide for an entrance wound on most every shot. The blades open quickly and on the outside of the animal. The 2nd advantage is that on angled shots it reduces the chance of the head deflecting. I prefer heads that open in the manor for those very reasons.
In the orange the head fully opened by the time it exited. In the plywood it opened fully, and penetrated most of the way through, with the blades digging in to the wood and stopping. I have found this typical of mechanical heads with 3 or more blades of this large a cutting diameter. In the steel drum the head penetrated the first side, and bounced off the back wall. Two of the three blades broke off, with the third one intact.
The revolutions are a very accurate head, and they come with sharp blades right out of the package. There is a slight ‘hissing” noise while in flight, but it is very minor. Overall I like the Revolutions and found them to be a very good mechanical head. They may not be as strong as some others, but they do have a superior way of opening, and the advantages of that are something to consider. You do need to pay special attention to how you assemble the heads, as it is possible to put them together in a way that they will not open, and that is bad news when shooting at game! As long as you follow the directions on the package I don’t think you will have any problems putting them together though.
The cartage that holds the blades in place is larger than the tip, and that does hinder penetration in hard materials like plywood or bone, but in soft foam or flesh I don’t think it will pose any problems at all. If you want a rearward opening head this is one to consider for sure.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 08-20-2002, 09:36 AM

Default RE: Rocky Revolution test results

great review 5 shot, yes this is one of the few mechanicals I really like the concept & design. I think anyone would find them strong enough for deer.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great review 5 shot. I have used that broadhead for the last 2 seasons with great results. The entry holes have always been huge, head fully open. I have never had what I would call a complete pass through, but the head had gone through both sides of the animal and it got pulled out as it ran through the brush.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 08-24-2002, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a mistake could be made during assembly, then why don't they just sell them assembled?

Old 08-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, they do come from the factory ready to go. The problem can come in when you replace the blades. It is not a big deal if you watch what you are doing.

Old 09-08-2002, 08:44 AM

5-SHOT,
How bad is the hissing that you're hearing?Do you think that it's something a deer will be able to hear and react to?I'm thinkimg of going to mechanicals,but the noise thing bothers me.Thanks

GOOD HUNTING,BRIAN
Old 09-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

the hissing is not all that bad. About like what you get with feathers that have a little wear on them. some have reported no noise at all. I guess it really depends on your setup.

Old 09-08-2002, 05:21 PM

Thanks 5-SHOT,
It's between the revolution and the snyper.Read the post about the elk and snyper,and am leaning toward the rev.I like the 90 gr.muzzys' the best but it's nice to have a back up.

GOOD HUNTING,BRIAN
Old 09-09-2002, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC, the Snypers are still a stronger head than the Revolutions. Both ai believe are plenty tough for deer size animals though.

Old 09-09-2002, 01:50 PM

Saw some titanium revolutions the other day at the shop. Any plans to test them?

Rod

Quick Reply: Rocky Revolution test results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.