Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Spot Hogg hunter review

Old 08-13-2002, 10:39 AM

Default Spot Hogg hunter review

Received my new Spot hogg hunter with the small aperture and took it for a test drive this last weekend. It took a little getting used to with the wire right behind the pins. After a few shots I started getting used to this new feature. After a few hours it was apparent that the wire actually help accuracy at distances greater than 40 yards. Here in the west our average shot is around 37 to 45 yards. Personal experience has been right along this average. Of the 4 deer I've taken in the last 7 years with a bow the closest was 35 yards and the longest shot was 43 yards. That being said accuracy is very important. In order to supply accurate data I shot the same bow with both a copper john and the spot hogg hunter. In the accuracy department the copper john suffers at distances around 40 yards due to the size of the ring around the pins. (I believe that it is 2 3/8" or at least it is on the model I have which requires a larger peep). One other thing that I noticed was my bow was quieter with the spot hogg. I've read a few different posts about resonance from the copper john and at least with my set up this appears to be confirmed. On a less positive note the windage adjustment broke after two days of tweaking the sight between the two bows. That being said customer service was on the ball and sent me a replacement windage and vertical unit priority mail. If their is a good part the unit is replacable without having to send in the whole sight so you don't have to reset the pins. All and all I give the spot hogg hunter a thumbs up rating and will be upgrading the rest of my sights with there products.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Spot Hogg hunter review

what do you think about the copper john sights? I was thinking about getting one.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:18 PM

Moonge if I had to make a choice I'd go with the spot hogg. I've got two copper john's and they are the older models. The design didn't make the vertical adjustment easy to use. Also adjusting the pins is a bit painful because you have to eyeball the set up and then hope when you tighten it down that it didn't slide up or down on you. The spot hogg has a more precise pin adjustment. Finally the holes that are in the copper john appear to make the sight resonate noise when the bow is shot. If I had to do it over on the spot hogg sight I probably wouldn't get the hunter version. I think you can get the same end product in the right-on version.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:45 PM

I have the Copper Johns standard, pro, and the Spot-Hogg Bare bones on three different bows. The outer diameter of the pin guards seem to be the same, but the Spot-Hogg is much thicker, so you don't get the same open view you get with the Copper Johns. Also the Copper Johns mounting bracket places the sight further from the riser - and advantage if you have a fast bow. The Spot Hogg mount hugs the riser more and is an advantage in protecting the sight from random bangs. I prefer the close in mounting, but dislike the white ring that Spot Hogg uses to outline their sight window. White reflects light too much, and does not seem to be the sensible choice to use here, the orange of the Copper John is better.

I haven't detected any difference in noise between them, although the position of the Copper John away from the riser might encourage resonances. Copper Johns has sent me (gratis) some of their old model
mounting plates which will pull the sight in closer, but I haven't had a chance to use them. (The Copper Johns are not unusually exposed, it is just that the Spot Hogg is definitely more pulled in than most sights.)

I prefer the sight picture through the Copper Johns, but not enough to ditch the Spot Hogg on one of my bows. I use only one pin; perhaps that has an effect on my inability to detect any "resonance". Finally, I like the look of the Copper Johns Pro model over the standard model - a bit more streamlined.