Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Cheap Homemade Target

Old 01-05-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Cheap Homemade Target

Does anyone use a homemade target and if you do what do you use. right now i am using hay bales with plywood behind and it seem to work pretty well. i am just getting into bowhunting and am using a bow with a light draw weight. so i dont worry much about pass through
Old 01-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cheap Homemade Target

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=476962

Lots of ideas in this thread...
Old 01-05-2004, 03:33 PM

Since I started that thread that Rangeball linked too, I've actually made a target and started using it, with good results.

I got a burlap bag (not always easy to come by) and put some old sofa cushions that had cotton inside of them. I was able to fit 2 in the burlap bag, 1 on top of the other. Just this was able to stop my arrows without pass-though, but then I slip a piece of carpet down the front and back to make it stop my arrows even better. I then painted circles to shoot at.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Thnx guys I'll try it out and get back to you on it. by the way finally got my bow sighted in today and it is shooting great and straight.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I like to get a nylon feed sack (about a buck) from the local farm supply & stuff it really full of those bags that you get groceries (& about everything else) in these days. Zip up the top w/a pc of wire & spray a couple/three 2" dots on it. Holds up great, will easily stop an arrow from any bow, & allows 2 finger arrow removal. Works great for field points, not good for broadhead practice tho. All for about $1.00.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:29 PM

I'm leery about firing arrows into a bag with only plastic bags as stuffing...what poundage are you shooting at?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:02 PM

I use two landscape timbers (6') buried vertical into the ground 2 ft deep, about 36" apart. Bolt on two 2x4's horizontally about 4" off the ground to the timbers. Nail/bolt a piece of plywood for a floor and lay on 32" x 10" (or whatever you want) pieces of carpet as high as you want. Mine is about 36". It'll take some carpet, but that can be found for free. Add two 2x4's horizontally for the upper support (with the back board about 3-4" lower. Add a plywood roof (the lower board will give it the angle. Be creative to hold the carpet down. You can use threadall and 2x4's and crank it down. I just installed two 2x4's horizontally (side-to-side) front and rear by lag bolts on one end (so they pivot), compress the carpet and hold the boards down with another board placed fwd to aft (about 10" long) and hold it down with a lag bolt. It works great. The hardest work is cutting the carpet. And best of all with some scrounging (legallly I'm talking here!) it can be made for $10 or less. It works great for broadheads when the carpet is not packed down so tight.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 PM

i just made some targets out of boxes filled with shredded paper, crumpled newspapers and old magazines compressed into them and put some old cabela's catalogs in last for extra stopping. then i duct taped the box shut and drew a target on the front. i will try it out after school tom. and will get back and post results. thanks everyone for posting and keep the ideas coming!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:00 PM

I just made a target out of a box filled with plastic wraps from a grocery store. I was wondering how long this box will last before I start passing thru it? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:27 PM

Got done shooting at the box filled with the paper and magazines and only one pass through. that was a shot in the corner of the box. it seems to work great maybe you should try it.

Quick Reply: Cheap Homemade Target

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.