Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 violet and white fiber optics >

violet and white fiber optics

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

violet and white fiber optics

Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default violet and white fiber optics

I orderd some violet and white fiber optic strands to see if they would be any brighter than the yellow, green and red we normally see on our sights.

Well lets just say that there is a reason that we don't see these two colors on bow sights. They don't show up worth a flip. And in low light they showed absolutly no light what so ever.

So in case you are also thinking about trying this don't waste your money.

I gently melted the ends with a lighter so that they would ball up on the end. I don't think this effected the light transmission but if any one knows of a better way to melt the ball one the ends let me know and I'll try again.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: violet and white fiber optics

Try pressing the end you want balled up on a light globe that has been on for 10 minutes.

I did read somewhere that this was the proper way to do it.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: violet and white fiber optics

Usually these fiber optics are used in conjunction with a little blue light.This will make them visible but they really are not for hunting.

Also,using a lighter is a bad way to ball the ends of fiber optics because you do not get an even ball and one side of the fiber will transmitt more light than the other side and in different light conditions will actually cause you to see more of one side than the other and therefore causing your pin to be in a different place than where you thought.It also cause more of a halo effect.

What Ausie suggested is much better and what I do is use an iron on high.Works great and you get an even ball.