Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Stay Sharp Tool

Old 10-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Stay Sharp Tool

I got my Stay Sharp tool in the mail the other day. No, I didn't win it at the drawing that DIY had. I bought it online. The reason I got it is was because I was having a heck of a time trying to sharpen the blades on my NAP Killzone broadheads.
Well - I took one apart and put it in the tool according to the instructions and within 10 mins on an arkansas stone, I had the 2 blades razor sharp. This is a pretty cool little tool.
For fun, I took the main blase off a Magnus Stinger BH and put it in the tool. Within a couple mins this blade was also super sharp.
The only drawback I have now is I need a larger stone. My 1 1/2" x 4" stone works but a bigger one would be even better.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, look up one of those "JewelStik" bench stones. They are fairly cheap at 25 bucks or so but man if you do your job correctly they will throw a hair splitter edge on a blade. If you want to get a super rig for all your knives and BH's as well get you one of those "Smith" tri hone rigs. Around 100 bucks but well worth it. And don't forget to get a good leather strap for a final hone. I'm probably more picky about my knives than I am my firearms if you can believe that!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Super - I am obsessed with having sharper than razor edges on all my cutting devices too. I just ordered a pair of diamond stones. 300 and 600 grit. And I do have a leather strop that I use for my knives. I'm pretty good at saharpening using only my hands once the blade has a properly honed angle with my Lansky. All they normally need is just a little touch up with my Shrade diamond steel.
I once watched my guide trying to dress out a mulie buck with a dull knife I shot a few years ago. I handed him my Buck folding hunter and when he opened it he said "Wow, this is serious sharp!" It made short work of finishing the job. When we got back to camp I touched up my blade on my diamond steel and sharpened his knife for him. When I gave it back he was amazed how easily it shaved the hair off his arm.
But this little jig is perfect for getting a sharp edge on your broadheads. I was having a heck of a time with those Killzone blades. My tungsten "V" notch broadhead sharpener wouldn't even touch them. But a couple mins on a side with this tool and they were very sharp. Nice thing is you can set the angle perfectly by how much you leave stick out. And you can really bear down in the blade as you push it across the stone while still maintaining that angle.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Do you have a web site for the stay sharp tool? I keep getting all types of things poppen up but don't know what it looks like.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Parrot Head
Do you have a web site for the stay sharp tool? I keep getting all types of things poppen up but don't know what it looks like.
Thanks
here you go http://staysharpguide.com/
There are 2 models, one for fixed blade and one for replaceable blade broad heads
Old 11-11-2015, 02:49 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info
Old 04-11-2016, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default iF it goes beyond arkansas stones

I already learned to sharpen knives and arrow heads. Learned it back in the Cromagnon era. Sure saves on sharpening tools, whatever the cost.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can attest that bronko isn't posting just because he won, that was me

Also agree that it is great for those smallest of blades. I had a few dinged up Striker blades in my parts box and quickly got them to better than out of the box sharp.