Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Most lethal broadhead

Old 06-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

And here's one where the little buck went 20 yards

On your vid Top it sounds like, from his own explanation, that he only got some lung since the deer was quartering to him. And with it being a bit low he probably only got one lung and low lung at that. Not a great shot at all. Now if that doe had been quartering away, that would have taken a nice chunk of heart and wouldn't have went very far probably.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's also what I figured with the shot being a little low and from up in the air along with the kid saying it was quartering away more than he thought when he found it and saw the exit wound.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched several hunt vids this afternoon (nothing else to do in this damn wheelchair) featuring the use of those "Toxic" heads. One thing I noticed was they have a HELL of a "whack" when they hit. Sounds like a 2x4 snapping. From what I've seen so far on them, they look interesting, but not interesting enough yet to switch up from my tried and true BH's. I dunno, may get a set or 2 and try them out on some hogs first next year before trying them on a Whitetail. If they get through the shield on a good sized hog then I'll be sufficiently impressed.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 PM
TOA
Spike

I should have been more clear.I was talking about Toxic broadheads made by flying arrow archery.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your post title was a bit misleading to me. But like some of the other posters stated any BH that gets through the vitals will kill a deer in no time. It looks at though the Toxics have more cutting surface and the design cuts a circular hole in the animal. This type of wound would allow for less plugging and an easier blood trail. As for my experience - the most lethal BH I've ever used was a 100 gr Magnus Stinger. I shot 6 deer with them and all died within sight in the wooded area I hunt. The only reason I switched is because they are not as strong as other BHs and a slight bend will cause them to fly erratically. I now use either Slick Trick Vipertricks or Rage Hypodermics depending on the bow I am using.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, have you ran any deer through with those Vipertricks? If yes how was the performance? I've been meaning to give them a run. I use the Standard 100gr or the Magnum 125gr with my re-curves depending on which one I am using and what I am after. Thinking about giving those Vipers a try on one of my compound rigs. Dropping down in weight so a little less cutting diameter without really sacrificing much damage looks promising.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super - I decided on them because of the reputation of the other Slick Trick designs and because they have a cut on contact style and steeper cutting angle more in line with the Magnus Stinger, Muzzy Phantom and the old Bear Razorhead. All of which are basically the same profile. Another reason is my daughter-in-law and my grandson can only handle about 45# draw and the Vipertrick should be a good design. I personally have not taken any deer with them but I plan on it in a few months....
Old 06-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well since I will be limited this year to just a couple whitetail hunts from a ground blind, If I can even get that going, I think I'll be going ahead and dropping down weight so I'll give them a check. Hopefully get lucky and have a chance to run one through a deer.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't even find the old broadheads I use to depend on, being discontinued. They was the Anderson 245 Mag, and even though they weighed 125 gr, they was 1.5" wide, 4 blades. Every animal I shot with them, including 3 mature bull elk, went down within sight! It's a shame that when the Anderson guy died, nobody took over the company and excellent products! I also loved his Anderson Treesling! Wearing climbers all you had to do was grab the tree and walk up to a handy fork and loop yourself on, instant comfortable webbed stand-not even needing to add water! Now I've been testing the Toxics for a few years but have only used them on whitetail, groundhogs, and coyotes. They appear to cut 3 plugs out on the way through, and the deer drops VERY quickly within sight, with massive blood trails! I can totally recommend them personally. P.S. I've been seriously considering making a new version of the Anderson 245 mags, being retired from gunsmithing I have plenty of time, just need the backing! Mine would be constructed of Titanium & weigh 100 gr to accommodate modern bowhunters' most common desired weight for use with carbon arrows.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 07-02-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-28-2015, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot thunderhead razors. Perfect combination of cutting diameter and penetration for what I'm hunting IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.