Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Favorite arrow?

Old 06-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
I shoot GoldTip Velocity XT's. GoldTip makes great arrows for the price. Not to mention their FACT weight system is pretty cool.
I just started playing with the FACT system in some of my hunting arrows. Playing with flight characteristics this summer for 15-20% FOC - I can say so far that I've definitely noticed a "problem" with shooting that heavy of tip weight. I started shooting clear through my targets and tearing up my fletching!

But I suppose that's not really related to the gold tip arrows, since any arrow with a .246" ID can utilize an insert compatible with FACT weights.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That FACT system is good for slower speed bows but is pretty much over kill for a bow shooting over 280FPS. If you aren't getting pass throughs with that much speed then you need to change to a better broadhead or reduce your range.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
That FACT system is good for slower speed bows but is pretty much over kill for a bow shooting over 280FPS. If you aren't getting pass throughs with that much speed then you need to change to a better broadhead or reduce your range.
There's so much wrong with that statement, I don't even know where to start. First of all, consistent pass throughs aren't just about speed. Secondly, increasing FOC is beneficial at ANY arrow speed. Higher FOC improves overall flight characteristics of the arrow. To me, better penetration is just icing on the cake. Sure, you can increase FOC with different weight broadheads or a brass insert, but broadheads are expensive and inserts are glued in. The FACT system lets you fine tune your arrow to your bow. The whole point of the system is flexibility. Want to try a new broadhead, but its only available in 100 grains? No problem - just add a FACT weight to the back of the insert. Injure your shoulder at work and need to drop your draw weight? No problem - just add some FACT weights, so your arrows don't end up being too stiff.