Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Toxic Broadheads

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Spike

Default Toxic Broadheads

Has anyone had ANY experience with these new broadheads - good or bad?

The remind me of the ole Browning Serpentine broadheads which never became popular due to being difficult to sharpen at home. However, I am wondering being that these new Toxic broadheads have replaceable blades that MAY change things now - especially IF they fly well and are devastating on deer, etc.

http://www.americanhunter.org/blogs/toxic-broadheads

I'm curious about them!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen these, don't think I'll be spending my money on them. With that much blade grabbing meat, and a punch/cut design, you better have a he11 of a lot of energy behind one of those things to get the job done. That's a LOT of broadhead to push, and as you mentioned, it's none too easy to sharpen. That thing is going to grab meat and slow itself down FAST - if you don't have the power to push that much blade length and "compressing" meat through the animal, then you don't need to be playing with these. Even pushing 325fps+ out of rather aggressive bows, I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that risk.

Quite likely to be 'less-than-aerodynamic' too. Not saying they won't kill deer, but I'm not sold on any dirty science that these would be better than any other blade in the game.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Spike

Thanks Nomercy 448.

That's pretty much what I figured. Also you do not have to sharpen these your cellphone because they come with razor-sharp, factory blades that are user replaceable just like the Muzzy or a Thunderhead blade.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mju6559
Thanks Nomercy 448.

That's pretty much what I figured. Also you do not have to sharpen these your cellphone because they come with razor-sharp, factory blades that are user replaceable just like the Muzzy or a Thunderhead blade.
If you believe in "razor sharp from factory" claims, then we have a difference in experience. I've yet to find a broadhead that was hunt-ready and "razor sharp" right out of the box, even those that you mentioned. With this much blade involved in these "Toxic" heads, they need to ACTUALLY be razor sharp, as in grab a razor blade (not a utility knife blade - a razor blade) and grab a broadhead, when the same light pressure makes the same small nick in your arm, then go hunt.

It also makes me itch just a little that the shape of this broadhead is actually a "Biohazard warning" emblem, not "toxic". Very different badging in the safety world.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Probably works good

But I go with the philosophy of an old saying.

Forty dollars here; 30 dollars there. Pretty soon we're talking about real money.
But then I'm different. I sharpen reusable broadheads. Maybe I'm just too cheap to experiment a lot. And I'm cheap enough to realize more than one broadhead works.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
But I go with the philosophy of an old saying.

Forty dollars here; 30 dollars there. Pretty soon we're talking about real money.
But then I'm different. I sharpen reusable broadheads. Maybe I'm just too cheap to experiment a lot. And I'm cheap enough to realize more than one broadhead works.
Very true Valentine! I think this is what archery manufacturers thrive on! Every time they come out with one of their new 'wares' and put an ad in a hunting magazine - curiosity gets the best of many of us - and we just have to see if there IS something better than what we've ever used, have, etc. And then some of us love to try new things out, experiment with things as well, test new products, etc. However - it sure gets costly in the long run!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

I bought 2 packages of the Toxic broadheads last season and they worked great. I shoot a Mathews Creed that shoots at 272 fps with my setup. I arrowed a buck on my very first hunt with these broadheads and had a complete pass through at 15 yards. As far as accuracy goes, at 20 yards, I was hitting the bullseye and keeping it very close at 30 yards. I also paper tuned them and they flew very good. I'm a stickler for proper arrow flight. To make sure that they flew as good as I thought they did, I had a buddy shoot it too and he hit the bullseye at 20 yards also.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
I bought 2 packages of the Toxic broadheads last season and they worked great. I shoot a Mathews Creed that shoots at 272 fps with my setup. I arrowed a buck on my very first hunt with these broadheads and had a complete pass through at 15 yards. As far as accuracy goes, at 20 yards, I was hitting the bullseye and keeping it very close at 30 yards. I also paper tuned them and they flew very good. I'm a stickler for proper arrow flight. To make sure that they flew as good as I thought they did, I had a buddy shoot it too and he hit the bullseye at 20 yards also.
Thanks for the info. Now that's funny b/c I spoke to a guy yesterday that said he tested some on foam targets, and after 20 yards they planed all over the place. He stated UP to 20 yds they did fine, but beyond 20 yds they were 'all over the place. Perhaps it's HIS bow setup that is off or his arrows are not properly spined, his bow needs tuning, etc. I don't know....

Interesting...thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
If you believe in "razor sharp from factory" claims, then we have a difference in experience. I've yet to find a broadhead that was hunt-ready and "razor sharp" right out of the box, even those that you mentioned. With this much blade involved in these "Toxic" heads, they need to ACTUALLY be razor sharp, as in grab a razor blade (not a utility knife blade - a razor blade) and grab a broadhead, when the same light pressure makes the same small nick in your arm, then go hunt.

It also makes me itch just a little that the shape of this broadhead is actually a "Biohazard warning" emblem, not "toxic". Very different badging in the safety world.
Take a look at Solid Broadhead Company... wanna talk about sharp?!?! These heads are amazing! Loving them so far and can't wait to see what they do on game! The s30V steel they are made out of is top quality aiding in how sharp they are and how they hold their edge. Leather strop them back to shaving hair in no time with a little White Gold Compound. Solid investment IMO