logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Nontypical Buck

Default A good bow package for under $400

What is a good package for a person relatively new to archery hunting. This is for myself, I am about 5'11 and about a 28 inch draw or so and I have had 2 shoulder surgeries so I will need some good let off. I am using and older than dirt Stemmler 50# wood compound bow and it just isn't getting the job done. $400 will be my max budget to get everything that I need after the holidays so that I can practice with it for the coming years hunting season. Right now I have the deer coming in, but so far I am just flinging arrows and not hitting anything. I thought that I had the bow hitting out to 30 yards, but something must have gotten thrown out of whack.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Spike

I'm not up to date on prices or anything but I have to Fred bear bows and they have performed excellent and I believe I decently priced. I'm sure u can find one for under $400. Iv got the truth bow. It's an older model but I'm sure can get a new one or even a good used one for a good price.
chopper29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Nontypical Buck

Default How did you do it

How did you come up with that "miraculous" price of $400 for a -"new" completely packaged compound bow for paraplegics. Kidding of course.

But you must have done some checking and hit a wall.

Son, I'm cheap. But they hardly have only a few $500 bow packages for well people. I feel sorry for anyone attempting to go cheap on bows today. And when I got back into archery, some twenty years ago, with a former bad shoulder, bows seemed a lot cheaper.

How bad are your shoulders. I rehabbed mine, by using five pound weights and practiced for twenty years, keeping the arms and shoulders built up for the draw. Just so I could keep drawing the bow effectively. A bow is a piece of junk, if your shoulders don't work.

For modern prices, I'd go to a site, Hunter's friend, to see prices on bare bone bows and packaged bows. It gives you a little reality check. $400 !!!!! They'd probably laugh at you at a real pro shop.

Bear, PSE and not real known to me, Martin, have bare bows under around $400. PSE has a bow called a Stinger for some $300-bare vones price. Buying the assessories, yourself, seperately, can get you around the general $400 figure. I've heard some good reports and you can watch some video on the stinger on you tube. I'd take a look at that one.

Of course, I would make sure I had those five pound weights working good, before spending $400 dollars.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Boone & Crockett

PSE stinger comes in at $399. We're a dealer for PSE, Mathews, Misison, Elite, and Quest and this stinger really is a pretty decent little bow. Shoots a whole lot better than its price would suggest. You'd still need arrows and a release but other than that you would be good to go.

http://pse-archery.com/products/cate...17.16550.0.0.0
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency........... Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Fork Horn

I would buy a mission bow, my brother in law has the ux-2 and he paid $299 for it. I have the mission eliminator bow and I love it, I paid $399 for it. These bows are built by Mathews and I think they use there old technology on them. Great bows for the price. Scott
scoot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Fork Horn

If your not opposed to buying a used bow I could make you a good deal on a bow package. I am selling all the archery stuff I have. If you have any questions about any of it or want some more detailed pics. just let me know. Here is a link to my post Complete archery sale out!
Jacob Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Fork Horn

I have one of the 09's left with a complete package, and I will ship to your door, set up. With a half dozen arrows cut to your needs. Oops just checked I will have to put a package together, with better accessories! Will still be lower than the $400.00
Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Nontypical Buck

Send a message via Yahoo to halfbakedi420

bass pro "chronic" or "kronic"...comes ready to shoot..

ĦĹFBĂĶĔЙ
halfbakedi420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Fork Horn

Buy the Diamond Razors Edge. Plenty of speed, great let off, and honestly a nice bow to shoot all around I purchased one for my wife. They are light weight and accurate. Only thing you will need are some arrows and a target it comes with the sights, rest, peep, everything you need but the arrows and the target. Should be around 300-350.
ACutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Nontypical Buck

The $400 is just the price that I came up with after seeing a bit of what is out there in the intermediate range. I just wanted to throw the question out there to see what the people thought who are familiar with bow hunting. My right shoulder has been operated on twice and I also have degenerative disc disease on a couple of levels in my neck. I can pull a bow back ok, I can hold it for about 30 seconds and I can shoot a dozen arrows before I feel the inflammation and start getting a headache and the shoulder burn. Sometimes I can tolerate more, sometimes less. I am thinking that a more modern package with better let off than what my old bow has will help and I will be able to shoot more. The newer lighter bow can't hurt either. The biggest draw to bow hunting for me right now though is getting about 10X longer of a season where I live compared to rifle hunting and I get to get either a buck or a doe. I have a nice two man ladder stand now, deer coming and going from my property all the time and it has been really cool to sit with my 8 year old and watch the wildlife. We have a big bull moose making tracks in the snow right now too lol.