Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ?? >

A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Have been using a Fletchhunter Release (Concho Style)for about 25 yrs; and want to upgrade to something better for hunting. I shoot with a D-Loop [made of string]; bow is 38" axle to axle [a short compound bow].There are, as you all know, so MANY releases on the market that selectionbecomes very difficult.Based on your experience, I would greatly appreciate your recommendations & thoughts on this.Thank you much.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Default RE: A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

I bet you are going to hear alot of people telling you to go with a scott archery release and they are nice.. but i am very partial to the jim fletcher team primos release.. its cheap and is very nice.. good luck

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM

I was just about to post the same question.
I have been using a Tru-Fire of some kind so long I can't remember the model.
But I had to shorten it so as to not loose too muchdraw length. Watch that. It can put your anchor back behind your ear!
So I've noticed Fletcher offers a "shorty", as well as a model specificaly for string loops. Called a Hook Release. They are more than the team Primos, but if they'l do the job with the features I want, it's worth the money.
Besides, it's time for a new toy anyway and a hell of a lot less than a new Mathews or Hoyt!
I'm leaning towards the Shorty over the Hook just because it has a velcro strap and the Hook has a buckle.
I also use a grip type release and like ti a lot for 3-D or competitions, but not practical in the field (no strap). I do believe however, that the grip release does pull higher poundages easier than a wrist type release.
Good luck, and good hunting!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

If you shoot a loop you I am going to tell you to try a scott.. They have a model, the sabertooth, that is great. Got it this year and really love it. Try it before you buy anything else.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my tru fire bulldog release
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 AM

Tru-fire 3D hunter is an excellent thumb style release. It's easy to use even with gloves on and you can carry it in your pocket instead of it flopping around on your wrist. You can add a wrist leash to it so it's on your wrist and keep very handy.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Spike

Thanks much to each of you good-hearted 'responders'....I greatly value your sharings. I havn't made up my mind yet; but the advice I will take IMMEDIATELY ... is to try out a release before you buy it. If I may leave you all with (my) recommendation about buying hunting equipment, I would say this: That these are allll toys.....and toys need no justifications to purchase them. Now isn't that liberating??!!! Thanks again to each of you.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I was just about to post the same question.
I have been using a Tru-Fire of some kind so long I can't remember the model.
But I had to shorten it so as to not loose too muchdraw length. Watch that. It can put your anchor back behind your ear!
So I've noticed Fletcher offers a "shorty", as well as a model specificaly for string loops. Called a Hook Release. They are more than the team Primos, but if they'l do the job with the features I want, it's worth the money.
Besides, it's time for a new toy anyway and a hell of a lot less than a new Mathews or Hoyt!
I'm leaning towards the Shorty over the Hook just because it has a velcro strap and the Hook has a buckle.
I also use a grip type release and like ti a lot for 3-D or competitions, but not practical in the field (no strap). I do believe however, that the grip release does pull higher poundages easier than a wrist type release.
Good luck, and good hunting!

IMHO, you should go with the buckle strap. The buckle strap tends to keep the shooter more consistent with form. With the buckle, once you buckle it to your wrist, mark the hole you used and always use that hole. It keeps your release point the same every shot.

By using a velcro strap, I can almost guarantee that every time you "strap" your release to your wrist, your release point will change. A velco strap creates inconsistency. A buckle strap will keep this part of your form more consistent which will make you a better shooter. Again, this is JMHO!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am shooting a cobra green mamba, with the trigget pull down to about .5lbs
I woulda never bought anything cobra 10 years ago. but this thing is sweet. I like it way more than my tru-fires and tru-ball releases. And the best part....
when I bought it, apparently the archery community in my area had the same thoughts as I on cobra, it was 29 bucks from 70 at gander mountain cause no one was buyin em.
hahahah
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott makes several Great releases!! I also Love my Carter 2 Shot

Dan

Quick Reply: A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.