Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Intensity / Discovery bows >

Intensity / Discovery bows

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Intensity / Discovery bows

Old 01-15-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Intensity / Discovery bows

Looking to get a left handed bow soon.Currently shooting a right handed bow,but im left eye dominate.Didnt realize the eye dominate thing till i put a no peep on my current set up.My goal is to be able to shoot with both eyes by next season.Have tried everything to be able to use my current set up, even shooting it left handed,but there is the cable hitting the bow arm issue.Actually shoot better using it left handed,but wont chance it in a hunting situation.My question is does anyone own or know someone who has one of these bows.Its a cross between a compound and onieda.The bow comes with an owners manual,Has alot of draw length adjustment(3&quot,0-100% left off,and doesnt need a bow press to be taken down.Supposedly a super quiet bow.One concern i have is that it utilizes recurve type outboard limbs and was interested in what you experinced hunters think about that extra movement of the outboard limbs as compared to the regular camed bows.Their web site is discoverybowhunting.com. Figured i would bring the question to this web site,since your not going to see anything negative on theirs.Thanks for any input.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Intensity / Discovery bows

I had a Discovery about this time last year. I got it during their December sale, and decided to try out their 10 day "buy and try" period. I shot the bow for 3 days, I think, and decided to send it back.

The positives:

Low recoil compared to most bows I have shot. I would say it was on par with the Mathews MQ1 that I had for a while. Pretty quiet with only a pair of string leeches on the string. It did have some string noise without them, as almost all bows do. Easy to work on and adjust. Seemed like a pretty rugged piece of equipment.

The negatives:

The force draw characteristics were just wrong for me. The draw was somewhat like a heavy recurve which just kind of stopped at the end. Not much felt let-off compared to a regular cam bow at what they claimed was 65% letoff. Very high amount of system friction. When you started to let down the draw, the string just kinda sat there, then finally started to pull out of the valley. I measured the draw and let down curves just for information, and there was 15 pounds more draw force than let down force in spots. The Darton I had at the time had less than 3 pounds difference at any point on the curve. Lastly, the Discovery did not balance too well without a long or heavy stabilizer on the front.

I did get to meet one of the owners, Trevor Loomis, at the Harrisburg show last year. He was a very nice person, and showed me the Intensity. It had a much more "normal" force draw curve, was better balanced, and is supposed to be much faster than the Discovery. If you are going to take the plunge and try one, I would suggest the Intensity model.

It might be worth a try for you. I believe it cost me about $20 return shipping to send it back, and the charge was removed from my credit card.

Avoid the inevitable until it is absolutely unavoidable!