Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Survival Bow

Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Survival Bow

Hi! I am trying to pack a „survival kit” and among other „usual stuff” I am thinking to take with me a bow! Now the only problem is that space is limited and my solution is to take just the limbs and the string (maybe a few arrow heads!) … the rest can be carved ‘out there’!
This is not intended to be a fast solution to troubles (if ever!) but more like a last resort. But again never say never!
What limbs do you think will be the best for this task? - I am concerned primarily about robustness and resistance to elements and at last about the price (around 150$).
Any other suggestions that might improve my kit? (regarding the bow!)
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Survival Bow

Is this a serious post?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM

plannin on gettin lost?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 AM

Have you ever been outside your house for more than two weeks? ... yes .. is a serious post ...
Old 10-06-2007, 02:48 AM

A few clarifications: first of all … no guns. I don’t like guns. Second: like I said the bow will be the last resort (I can make good traps and I can fish decently) but if, for some reason small game is not available or I am just unlucky, I want something to help me build a decent bow – I can carve the riser and I was making arrows since I was six … but finding a good wood for a bow sometimes is hard – so I think the limbs will help a lot.
I don’t know too much about the best materials that will do for this situation (wood, carbon …) that’s why I am asking you guys: What are the best limbs you can buy with 150$?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

No offense, however I would get over my not liking guns really quickly in a survival situation.

Something like a small .22 cal rifle
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm
or a longer barreled revolver would be my recomendation.

Survival is not about it being cool or nifty to fashon your own riser and make your own bow, it is about coming out alive. Expend as little energy as possible doing just the things needed to keep you alive until help arrives. By the time you get done whittling your riser, stringing your bow, getting proficent enough to hunt with it, you could be dead. That's not even considering that you may not be accurate enough with it to actually kill anything within a reasonable period of time.

A small .22 is light enough to carry and will give you the ability to hunt effectively until you either get yourself out or are found.

The bow is just a bad idea.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM

Have you ever been outside your house for more than two weeks? ... yes .. is a serious post ...

(in reply to gamespooker)
ORIGINAL: 98Redline

No offense, however I would get over my not liking guns really quickly in a survival situation.

Survival is not about it being cool or nifty to fashon your own riser and make your own bow, it is about coming out alive. Expend as little energy as possible doing just the things needed to keep you alive until help arrives. By the time you get done whittling your riser, stringing your bow, getting proficent enough to hunt with it, you could be dead. That's not even considering that you may not be accurate enough with it to actually kill anything within a reasonable period of time.

A small .22 is light enough to carry and will give you the ability to hunt effectively until you either get yourself out or are found.

+1
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I would just go with a large bowie knife and string. You could then tie the knife to the end of a stick and make a spear: worked for Rambo!!haha. Seriously I hope you never get into a situation to have to use your survival kit. Good luck in your quest for survival. If you are going to take limbs, stings and cables you might as well take the riser and a ratchet strap. You could fully assembly the bow that way. Oh yea, don't forget your allen wrench set.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM

I agree get a gun a henry survial .22 would be great light easy to pack and just makes more sense. If you can find wood good enough to make a riser than why is it now good enough to make the whole bow? And in the end you want the bow for the same reason, to provide food or defense.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a better idea to me and that US suvival .22 is a cracking little weapon . Really like the idea of that myself .
ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Quick Reply: Survival Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.