Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Climbing Tree Stands

Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Climbing Tree Stands

Ok, I know this gets beat to death here, but I gotta ask what people hunt out of as far as climbers. I have a Summit-3 or 4 years old-I want to sayit's a Viper or Cobra-cables and sling seat, but open front (ie no bar)if that helps. Hang ons are not an option for me, and it's not unusual for me to hike a mile or two to a hunting spot. From a packability and weight perspective, Lone Wolfhand climber seems tempting, but the thought of sitting in that thingfor the duration of a November rut day is not that appealing. I've also looked at the Summit Backpacker andOpen Shot-what do you guys think of these? my hesitancy is that they're not much different than what I've got. Also, does anyone else have any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

Basically my criteria is a climber with easy in packability, low weight, and comfort in that order.

Thanks is advance guys.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Climbing Tree Stands

I have a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. I had a Summit Goliath before that. The LW is lighter, quieter and easier for me to climb with. As far as comfort, if you sit mostly, the Summit is more comfortable, but I stand about 50% of the time and the LW is just fine for that.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aftertesting both the Lone Wolfhand climber and the sit & climb I opted for the sit & climb, for me it was much easier to use.
As for the summit climbers, the Goliath has the biggest platform and the upper half also has arm rests, comfortable stand, but if not adjusted to the tree properly it moves a bit.
The climber I now have my eye set on though is the New "Loggy Bayou MEGA Transformer"--I tested this stand and it's really a great climber as well as extremely comfortable--you'll fall asleep in the thing without a doubt!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 PM

I bought the loggy bayou over the summer and havent hunted with it yet. I had a summit viper last year, got stolen. I hope im gonna enjoy the LB, Im gonna use it for gun and bow. Never had a stand with an open front before.

Tim
Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Summit Viper
Northstar
Woods and Water Quick and Quiet

Each has it's own personality and is used on different trees at different times of the season.
If I had to pick one it would be the Viper
Old 09-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Spike

II own a Summit Viper and an OleMan Grand. I have the same philosophy when it comes to stands as jerseyhunter has. I use different stands for different trees and occasions but my Viper is my favorite.

I also will be using a summit deer deck this season for the first time (used an ole man lock on previously) and a ground blind for the first time.

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

Summit Viper
Northstar
Woods and Water Quick and Quiet

Each has it's own personality and is used on different trees at different times of the season.
If I had to pick one it would be the Viper
Old 09-02-2007, 07:03 AM

I have been using the Summit Bush Master for 3 years and like it because it is light...about 16lbs. if I remember correctly. It allows me to get into some of the spots most guys don't go too. I have been looking at the Open Shot just because it is that much lighter. In my opinion the price is right on either one. I find thatlike most of you probably do too that each tree will allow for certain comforts. The lighter the better for what you are looking for.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using a Summit Openshot and so far I really like it. Its comfortable enough and definitley light enough to pack in and out on long hikes. Plus the openshot is only 200 dollars compared to 329 for the Lone Wolf.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:00 PM

SUMMIT STANDS R THE BEST,EASY TO USE,QUIET,DEPENDABLE,AND MOST OF ALL COMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 09-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

If you are like me, I spend lots of time in my 2 Summit climbers. The Goliath and the Open Shot. I prefer the extra room to hold my 6 plus foot frame and 210 pounds. I like the security of that extra room when I need to stand and the comfort of the seat when things are slow and its time to take a break. Comes down to preference and what you are willing to carry that mile into the woods when its hunting time. I leave my stands in the woods. I do use a cable lock to weave through them and around the tree though. Knock on wood I have yet to lose one.

Quick Reply: Climbing Tree Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.