Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Switching to carbon arrows >

Switching to carbon arrows

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Switching to carbon arrows

Old 12-30-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Switching to carbon arrows

I'm going to make the move and hang up the aluminum xx75's and try my 1st batch of a dozen carbon arrows. I know nothing about carbon arrows so I have a couple questions. Do carbons come with standard inserts that allow for interchanging target tips and broadheads like the aluminum shafts do? Will I need to buy new broadheads with threads to match the new carbon inserts? Thanks in advance and any other hints are appreciated.

HalfCurl
Old 12-30-2002, 07:34 PM

Default RE: Switching to carbon arrows

The inserts for carbon arrows will except the points and broadheads just like alum. but you usually epoxy or super glue the inserts in so it is not as easy to change arrow length or turn your heads. If you fletch your own, you will not be able to use Fletchtite.You will not normally get as good of clearence with carbon on your rest unless you get the larger diameter or shoot a dropaway rest.I shoot a Muzzy Zero effect and have 0 problems. I would probably shoot alums. if not for the Muzzy but this is a personal thing as a lot of people shoot prong rest with good results. I use plain ole super glue to install my vanes . I can do a vane about every minute so it is quicker than alums. with Fletchtite. I feel that all the pluses out weigh the few minuses of carbon arrows.I would stay away from the shafts with out serts and get internal componets. Don

Old 01-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Switching to carbon arrows

I use an old TM Hunter rest and have no flight problems whatsoever, but as DoninVa says, stay with the larger diameter, internal component carbons, and I also suggest buying a brand that makes heavier grain weight carbons. I will be upgrading to a different rest this year, only because my old rest is well.....getting old.