HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/190169-tree-saddle-ambush-sling-season-review.html)

kwilson16 05-01-2007 08:33 AM

Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review

I apologize for the long post and the delay in posting this info - I meant to write it up after the season. I purchased the Ambush Saddle last summer and used it extensively for the 2006-2007 hunting season. Cost is less than $200. Overall quality is excellent and the directions are clear/simple. You do not need the extra long attaching strap. I have no affiliation with any manufacturer.

For those who have not seen this device, it's a harness-style system that allows you to climb a tree with screw-in tree steps. At the top, the hunter stands on 4-8 tree steps circled around the tree and straps into the trunk at eye level. It allows for 360 degree shooting and set-up is quiet and quick. I bow-killed two deer from the sling that I could not have gotten without it. I shot one buck from the sling with a muzzleloader but the sling was not a direct, contributing factor in this kill.

The Bad News:
1. This system will not be comfortable for heavy hunters. I am 5'10" and 205 lbs and I can spend all day in the sling but a short break sometime during the day is really nice.
2. To be effective, you will need a collection of spiked trees throughout your properties. Tree steps are not free steps!It takes 17-20 tree steps to set-up a tree - depending on the height you desire. It has taken me about 12 months and 200+ spikes to scout/clear/spike enough trees to provide the basic array of stands I wanted.
3. Most climbers/lock-ons/ladders have a rail around the stand that makes for handy rifle rest. The only substitute is to rest the rifle against the tree when using the saddle.
4. Most climbers are a lot more comfortable than the ambush saddle.
5. You will have to practice with your bow and the saddle to become accustomed to shooting from it (should do this anyway).

The Good News:
1. You can shoot 360 degrees around the tree by silently pushing yourself around the trunk with your feet. This flexibility is very potent. I bow-killed a forkhorn that appeared at 30 yards from a completely unexpected direction. I just leaned backward and shot him in a direction 180 degrees from my initial facing direction. I could never have shot at this deer from a climber, ladderor lock-on.
2. You can easily and silently carry the entire set-up (including spikes) in your pack and scout with it on your back. Although it takes a few minutes to install the steps, you can set-up and hunt 'on-the-fly'. This is very handy when hunting on new properties. Or, you can spike the trees any other time of the year and be ready to hunt when you show up.
3. If you are hunting a tree that is already spiked, arrival and set-up are very quiet and quick.
4. As you hang in the stand, the trunk acts as natural cover/concealment (especially if you select a forked tree with some background cover). Keep the trunk between you and the deer's most likely arrival direction.
5. You can hunt from any tree that will support your weight. We maintain a designated ladder stand overlooking a feeder for my father-in-law (he's 63 - hope I am still bowhunting at this age). A climber would not even have come close to working on any of the trees in this area but I set-up in a small, forked tree to overlook the feeder when my father in law was not hunting it. The deer had become accustomed to checking the ladder stand for hunter presence before eating at the feeder. However, because I was in a different tree and I was able to shoot a nice doe that snuck into the feeder.
6. You can safely sleep in the saddle after early morning arrivals.
7. It is pretty much impossible to fall from this thing. The sling includes a safety strap that is used while climbing up the trunk. I leave this strap connected and loosen it while on the stand. This adds an extra layer of redundancy on an already secure and safe system.
8. No one can steal your stand. If you're worried about some one stealing your steps, you can remove the bottom 4-6 steps and install them upon your arrival. I have not had anyone steal my steps. I don't think any of the 'competition' has even identified my spiked trees - unless I showed them.
9. The deer in my area are hard hunted and they look in trees constantly. However, because the appearance/presentation of the hunter-in-tree is so much different than with a ladder/climber/lock-on, the deer are notsuspicious.
10. Thesaddle has a designated connector to allow it to be used as a traditional safety harness when hutning from a regular tree stand.

Summary:
I have not discarded my climber or lock-on! They still provide superior comfort and are vital tools despite limiting my fields of fire.

A lot of my hunts are limited to half days (because work keeps interfering with my hobby...). The saddle allows me to set-up and hunt efficiently and quietly on the shorter days. I had a chance to hunt out-of-state in Tennessee and the saddle allowed me to scout the property and set-up trees simultaneously. I also believe that being able to hide behind the trunk of the tree (instead of perching in front) is a significant advantage. Lastly, the ability to hunt from almost any tree is great because you can pick your spot then make a tree work. The small, funky shaped trees provide excellent cover and are easy to climb.

Overall, I am really keen on the saddle and would highly recommend it with the noted limitations.

brucelanthier 05-01-2007 08:39 AM

RE: Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review

Good review. I got the ambush saddle to use this year. I also got Lone Wolf climbing sticks to use instead of the screw in steps. I will still be taking about 5 steps to use at the top of the tree.

LebeauHunter 05-01-2007 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info. This makes me curious about them, when before I wasn't about to use one of those things.

il coyote 05-01-2007 10:23 AM

Nice post.

I'd been thinking of getting one and doing more hunting on the fly. I hate using screw in steps, so I'll probably go with strap ons.

Good to see some info on the saddle that isn't just advertising.

statjunk 05-01-2007 12:21 PM

You said that the saddle is less comfortable. Please explain the areas of most of your discomfort?

I've been wanting to check on those out for some time.

Thanks for the good review.

Tom

kwilson16 05-01-2007 01:31 PM

The saddle and the sling are the same product. I think one company bought the other one out. There are a couple of different models but they all offer the same moderate comfort level.

Overall, the saddle/sling is comfortable. However, there are really only three positions you can be in:

1. Feet on tree steps; slouched against the tree.
2. Standing on tree steps and leaning straight back against the sling - my favorite.
3. Standing on tree steps with knees against the tree (more comfortable than it sounds, but might be better with cheap set of knee pads)

After 5-6 hours, these three postions get old and you begin to daydream about relaxing in a cushy climbing tree stand seat. You can usually remain absolutely motionless in a tree stand for an hour or two but the saddle requires occasional position shifts. I try to compensate for this by hunting higher and selecting gnarly trees with lots of background cover.

statjunk 05-01-2007 02:12 PM

KW,

Could you just remove your feet from the Tree all together and just lay against the tree supported completely by the harness? How long would your comfort last in this position?

Also does the harness or anything else make stress noises when you are moving?

I'm envisioning a deer creeping along the other side of your tree. Then you would put your feet on the tree and swing around to the other side. Would a move like this make stressing noise on the harness? Is it enough for deer to hear down on the ground?

Where you ever busted while in this rig? (That you know of!)

On average how high did you climb? What is the highest you climbed?

Thanks

Tom

kwilson16 05-01-2007 08:16 PM

Tom,

Yes. You could use the sling in the position described. It would be very similar to position (1) above. Comfort is a very subjective thing but I can say that this is the postion I sleep in - if that gives you an indication of comfort level. I would say it would good for at least 40 mintues depending on personal tolerances. Your readiness to shoot will be somewhat less then (2) or (3) but it requires less movement than standing in a regular stand.

No. There are no stress/creaking noises associated with the harness itself. It's kind of hard to explain but the movement occurs between two loops of strap withoutthetorsional (big word) effect that makes creaks. But.... If there are loose pieces of bark on the trunk they can be scraped off as you move. This will definitely make noise and it will compounded as the flakes hit the ground. Some tree barks are much less prone to this kind of noise. If I cannot select a quiet-barked tree, then I remove any loose bark - preferably before season.

I was never busted by a deer within my field of view. I imagine that I was probably busted by a deer that saw me before I saw it. The saddle requires occasional position shifts and this movement is a vulnerability. There is just no getting around it unless you're some kind of Karate Monk Gymnast that can remain motionless for long periods. My reading tells me that the primary mitigation for this vulnerbaility is to hunt higher. I moved most of my foot-supporting spikes from 20 ft (+/-) to around 25 ft during this offseason. Higher would be better but an honest 25 feet is pretty far up (in my book).

I have one stand that is 30 ft to the foot supporting spikes. It is located in a small, relatively open staging area with no large trees. Height was my only option for concealment. Your nerves and ability to compensate for downhill trajectory are your only height limiting factors. Most people would probably hunt higher than me.

I am kind of surprised that this post has not attracted more members who love or hate this thing. It's at least as interesting as the whisker bisquit/drop away/scentlok/mechanical/fixed debates!

johnnydialtone 05-01-2007 09:18 PM

You got me thinking about this type of stand. I am all about moving around and hunting new areas and lately have been using my Summit climber over my API Aluma Lock magnum stands. The Summit is much quicker and more comfortable but it is a climber and only works on certain trees and since it is metal it makes noise when moving through the brush.

This style of stand sounds perfect for someone that moves around a lot. I still don't like screwing in all those steps, or carrying around climbing sticks. Sounds like it might work well in evergreen trees.

What made you go with the tree sling over the tree suit and Guido's web?

Greg / MO 05-01-2007 09:26 PM

Thanks for taking the time to contribute here; these are the kinds of posts that are really appreciated by a lot of folks.

I haven't had the time to read through everything yet... I want this to get the play it deserves in this more frequented forum and then after a couple days or so I'll try to remember to move it over to the gear review forum so people looking for equipment reviews can find it in there... and I'll leave a link to it here as well. Like I said, I won't do that for a couple days...

Thanks for posting and being willing to help out with all the follow-up questions!

Len in Maryland 05-01-2007 09:29 PM

A couple of years ago I got a tree saddle/sling that has a platform/plank in the seat so that you're sitting on something rather than having a 'sling' to sit in. I threw it to the side until about 2 months ago. I'm planning on using it this year and appreciate the candid comments concerning its use.

The neat thing about the seat platform is that you can rest 'it' against the tree and it makes life more comfortable. I plan on using the climbing sticks as well as thetree steps. It just takes getting used to it and, like everything else, it should become easier to accept.

Fieldmouse 05-01-2007 11:08 PM

Keep me posted but I have to be the nay sayer. First, to put up any steps other then to over come a lower obstical is a PIA. 2 in the places I mainly hunt you need to be up high, too many steps. Please this year prove me wrong.

kwilson16 05-02-2007 06:24 AM

Johnnydialtone-
I didn't know about the Tree Suit or the Guido's Web. They are very similar products.

Guido's web looks very promising and possibly more comfortable. Price is comparable too. I probably would have tried this product if it had been available last summer.

The price of the Tree Suit is very good but I would question the quality for $100.It looks like it would be possible to fall from it. Everyone has their own budget 'vision' but I would spend the extra $ for safety and peace of mind on this piece of gear.

KW

Greg / MO 05-05-2007 07:27 AM

bump so this will be at the top of the review forum to start out...

Illinoisbow 05-05-2007 06:10 PM

Thanks a lot for the review!I rememberreading about the tree saddle in the book Precision Bowhunting and the author had a lot of good things to say about it. One question though. What percentage of weight would you say you put on your feet instead of the saddle.

Thanks

antlerchaser 05-05-2007 07:19 PM

I purchased the tree suit (not the same as the tree sadle)and gave it a good run but in the end didn't like it and thought it to be too uncomfortable for my likeing (has a hard seat) but the saddle has always interested me. I have talked with John and Chris Eberhart about the saddle and they hunt with them allot and like them. Thanks for the review , it was helpful. ;)

antlerchaser 05-05-2007 07:35 PM

Forgot to mention , the best price for a tree sadle is on John's site http://www.deer-john.net/index.html

His 2 books are without equal as well IMO. Haven't seen the DVD's so can't comment on them.

davidmil 06-04-2007 09:53 PM

First time in my life I have to disagree with Len. I think it's a POS and uncomfortable as you can get. If I have to screw in steps and all that I might as well be comfortable. Hang on stands get lighter every day. The weight is no longer a problem. To me it's comfort and that's about it. This thing to me is just down right NOT. About 30 minutes of standing on steps should prove the same thing to everyone. Why would I do that when I can sit on a nice plush seat with a platform to stand on.

TexasOaks 06-05-2007 12:01 PM

Thanks for the review.

tsoc 06-06-2007 05:37 AM

Thanks for the review.I owned one a short time ago and sold it because I never used it.I thought I would use it on the fly while hunting out west.I like the stability of having my feet on a platform.In the future if I wanted to have a stand I could get up quickly and be easy to carry.I would go with 10 to 12 really tapered sharp tree steps and lone wolf's lighest fixed position stand.Or have tree's with steps already in them,and bounce from stand to stand with the lone wolf.

metalback 04-11-2008 11:47 PM

Hey guys; Hope everyone is ready for the turkey opener tomorrow morning. Do any of you own and use an Anderson Tree Sling? I just picked one up on Ebay for 12 bucks and it didn't come with any kind of directions. It's kind of hard to make heads or taols of. I finally got it on and the way I have it there isn't any straps around the shoulders. I know this sounds crazy but I'm not even sure I have this rigged right or not. If anyone has one could they post a picture of them with it on so I can make sure I have it right before I climb 25 feet up a tree and dangle my butt out over that hard ground.....:) There just isn't any info anymore on Google or anywhere that I can find. Think they're so old now that noone talks about them. Anyway any info I could get on them would be greatly appreciated. Have a great turkey season!!!!

G-Dawg_02 12-22-2008 12:11 PM

Metalback,

Wow, Okay so I hardly ever have time to visit this wonderful site anymore, but I just happened to be browsing the web and this thread came up. So sorry, but I am a little late on this one. If you are still around or see this, I have an anderson tree sling. Can't find ANY information anywhere except the occasional mention of one in an old hunting book. With that, I absolutely LOVE mine. I do usually use a lock-on, but it is great on the fly. Let' hope you have figured out how to use it now :D , but if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you still have it and don't want it any longer, I am always looking for another one, you just can't find them anymore! Best of luck and happy hunting.

Antler Eater 12-22-2008 05:45 PM

I have had the Tree suit and the Tree Saddle for a number of years now...The Tree suit is an older model I have had it since 2001. The Tree Saddle I have had for at least three seasons if not four.

The tree suit has a solid seat in it which is more comfortable to sit on. It takes the pressure off of your hips. The older models were made with a plastic "chinese rope" (a rope that runs inside the other). While it is more comfortable than the Saddle it makes more noise. The guy who bought the company told me he fixed this issue and even hooks up to the tree different now with a simpler system.

The Tree Saddle is certainly more quiet but I would tell anyone up front, to me it is not a comfortable system. I don't know how anyone could spend five hours in one. At the end of two hours I am ready to get down.

I usually do use one or the other each year, mostly the saddle due to it being quieter, however they will not be replacing the lock ons or the ladder stands any time soon.

dandbuck 12-23-2008 08:10 AM

Well, I will add my thoughts. i bought a Tree Saddle this year. It is a great tool. i have not done a full day's hunt(at one time) with it, but 3-4 hours were plenty comfortable. The "best of both worlds" requires a couple add-ons. First of all, screw in tree steps just stink and take too long to set up. I went with the LW climbing sticks, and just recently converted to the UCR rope from Patrick (AT). Instead of tree steps, I bought a LW seat attachment to stand on. This is large enough that you can stand up straight without any of the sling for short periods of time also. If needed I guess you could add a step or two to the backside of the tree, but I feel it is not necessary. Next, instead of knee pads, use a strap on padded camo around the tree. This will eliminate the bark coming off and give your knees a needed rest.
Hope this helps! The Saddle gets two thumbs up for me!! Can't get much more versital with less weight and still be safe.
Dandbuck

stalkingbear 12-23-2008 02:19 PM

I used to have an Anderson tree sling years ago but I always used climbing spikes(like lineman climbers). That way I was able to simply walk right up the tree, using safety strap loosely around tree, hook the top around a fork, and was ready to pull up bow and hunt right then. I'm confused why people got away from strap on boot climbing spikes.

hunting junkie 01-02-2009 09:56 PM

All sounds good but do you have to hold what your hunting with(gun bow ect.)in your hands the whole time?

slayer_54 01-04-2009 01:18 AM

jus wondering if anyone has used the saddle with climbing gear?

BINUSH 01-08-2009 10:38 PM

I just ordered one, i have been wanting it for awhile. I think it is the perfect item forr people who move around a lot and dont hunt the same area everytime.