Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Range Finders

Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Range Finders

In any of your experiences, How important is a range finder? and if you don't use one why?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range Finders

I dont use one! I have thought about buying one, but i have borrowed a buddies before and before i would range anything i would guess at what i thought it was 18yds, 30 yds, etc... and i would always be right on or a yd or so off! But i have had plenty of practice through many 3D archery shoots! But that is why i do not use one! If you cant guess yardage very wel probably a great tool to own!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM

hi i use a range finder and love it
sometimes ill guess a range and then range it and am usually close but have also been off some.and to me when you know the range without guessing it makes me more confident in the shot.i use a leica and it works great.i am taking back a leupold 1v because it is a 1200 yard one but i have a hard time getting a reading at 850yards.so if and when you do get one make sure you look at the maximum distance to a non reflective target.anyway hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

I use a range finder all the time. Of course I estimate yardages all the time on stand (what else is there to do?). However, what I fear the most is that one time I misjudge the yardage will be the time I have just let go of an arrow at a 360 bull that I thought was 40 yards away! Murphy is much to good at his job for me to even consider going into the woods with a bow without a range finder!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

They're fun. Another thing to carry. Got to get used to them, but it is good to know what is what. Confidence goes a long way.

Mine was free. Guy thought it was busted. Turns out the button is in the wrong place and way to easy to push making it turn on and stay on when packed killing the battery quickly. Something to keep in mind. Who da thought!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM

It depends on what you're hunting and how you're doing it. They're nice for sitting in a treestand and measuring to reference points without pacing all over under your stand but honestly, if I was still hunting whitetails exclusively I wouldn't have spent the money on one. Where they really shine is out in the wide open spaces of the west or in steep mountainous terrain with lots of deceptive gulleys to estimate across. I've had one for years but never really needed it until last summer. Up to that point all my shots were under 20 yards, then I had a band of reindeer that just wouldn't let any of the big boys within 35. Knowing the exact yardage out over 35 becomes real critical. I ranged a decent bull at 39 and put one right through his heart. It was nice to have the confidence of knowing the yardage that the rangefinder provided. They're also a great training tool for 3D shooting. Hike around and estimate the yardage to something then laser it.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 PM

I agree with bow hunter 44. It's just another constructive thing to do in the stand to boost your confidence.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, I think that is why I got one, confidence, just to be more sure of my shot. I know its best to just practice and get good at judging distances. But I think this toy will help.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been using one for years, they are absolutly great. Just dont get to the point you have to use it. I always use mine to range landmarks, use to try ranging the deer before I shot. It takes too long, too much movement and cost me some shots. Id have the rangfinder in my hand instead of my pin on the deer.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Spike

I use mine in the following manner. After hanging stand, i walk around and range stand, place surveyors flagging at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yd markings around stand location. Gives me lots of reference when deer approach. Also use scent bombs by tinks in same manner, gives off scent and range.

Quick Reply: Range Finders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.