Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

mechanical broadheads

Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Spike

Default mechanical broadheads

This is my 2nd season archery hunting and I wanted to change broadheads. I currently use muzzy 4 blade 100gr. I have shot2 deer and 1 hog over the last 2 seasons. They performed well. I really wanted to try a mechanical head though. I really like the way the rage head looks.But I dont know anyone who has tried them. In fact I dont know anyone who shoots machanicals. Should I just stick with what I have? Some one point me in the right direction.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mechanical broadheads

There are tons of different opinion about this subject but........

There is no reason for you to change. Why do you want to switch, you are using a good head right now and you have had success with it. Don't switch! Muzzy's are tough bone breaking heads. I shot exspandables for years and had to many things go wrong so Im now using a stinger and love it and will never go back to a expandable.

If you are having no problems with what you have don't switch.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you get a pack of three and try them? Someone has to be the first> Why not you. Then you'll have first hand knowledge about them.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 AM

I do NOT care for "Mechanicals". There are people who love them and I am not one of them. To me, the "deflection problems", the kinetec energy it takes from your shot (to open) and the fact that I lost a deer that I firmly believe lived. You will get mixed reviews and only you can decide. I am going to try Slick Tricks next year (highly recommended on this site) when they have an ample supply and just stick with what i know works this year. GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 AM

stay with the fixed broadhead mechanicals are nothing but a problem waiting to happen..
Old 10-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Spike

I bought a pack of the three-blade rage broadheads. They come with one practice head. They flew great, however the o-ring on the body of the broadhead thataids with keeping the blades from prematurly opening, consistantly was severed and routinely had to be replaced. Extreme caution is needed when replacing these o-rings due to their tightness. One slip will result into an injury. They also have a tendency to open when placing them in a quiver. I never got a chance to hunt with them because I finally fine-tuned my bow and correctly spun my arrows. I continue to use Thunder Head 100's, which are fixed blade. I hoped that this helped.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: squeegee

I do NOT care for "Mechanicals". There are people who love them and I am not one of them. To me, the "deflection problems", the kinetec energy it takes from your shot (to open) and the fact that I lost a deer that I firmly believe lived. You will get mixed reviews and only you can decide. I am going to try Slick Tricks next year (highly recommended on this site) when they have an ample supply and just stick with what i know works this year. GOOD LUCK!
Before you make comments you should understand how the Rage expandable works.

"Deflection problems happen with over the top expandables and that is what costs you kinetic energy.

The Rage BH opens from the rear so there is no deflection problems and NO lost of kinetic energy toopen them.

Too many people put expandables in one group, which is wrong. You have standard over the top (jacknife style) expandables and then you have rear opening (slip blade) expandables.

Simply put the Rage BH will dowhat any fixed head BH willdo plus you get the advantages of a 2 inch entance and exit hole and the head will always fly like you field points.