Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Summit Stand Users - Input Needed >

Summit Stand Users - Input Needed

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Stand Users - Input Needed

Old 11-15-2002, 07:42 AM

Default Summit Stand Users - Input Needed

First let me make perfectly clear that I have always used a fixed stand; however, because my partners and I have recently obtained more hunting property a climber is becoming more necessary. I am seriosly looking at the Summit brand. The problem is there are so many to choose from (seems every type of snake known to man). I am looking at the Cobra XLS and the Viper XLS. My questions are: 1) which do you prefer and, 2) if you prefer the Viper - does the bar get in the way while bowhunting? As always, I appreciate and value your input.

Bob
Old 11-15-2002, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Summit Stand Users - Input Needed

Bob,

I have the Goliath Summit tree stand and I am really impressed. I have a bar across my mid section and I am able to shoot sitting down
with no interference. I actually like it because I like to lay my bow acros it while I wait. If I were a smaller man I would go with the viper or revolution. These stands are durable and quiet. The only thing I do not like is how the paint has chipped off and the plastic surrounding the cable gets chewed up. Neither of those concerns affect the performance.

If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:41 PM

i have a cobra,no rail for bow hunting.and like you,i have alot more land to hunt,the only thing i would like would be a longer platform. i'm not afraid of hieghts but when i sit in it my feet tend to hang over the egde a bit.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the viper better. Yes the bar can get in the way, but the comfort level it provides is excellent. I actually have a Goliath now, which is just a litter biger than the viper. I have never hunted out of a stand that was so comfortable! It is also super easy to setup and climb with. I think you will be very happy with either stand. The cobra is a bit lighter, and easier to shoot out of, but a bit less comfortable.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-16-2002, 11:47 AM
JPS

On the Viper if you go to stand up does the seat kind of push back or does it stay there.How are they to carry?Are they easy to get around in the woods while carrying.I mean does anything catch on trees or brush.

Old 11-16-2002, 08:13 PM

The Viper is my choice for bowhunting. First of all, YES, the seat slides back EASILY, and QUIETLY when you stand up.
The key to bowhunting is to tighten the seat straps all the way down, which RAISES the seat cushion to its MAXIMUM height. This seats you up a little higher, therefore making it easy to bowhunt out of. I am a relatively small build (150lbs) and I have never had the bar get in my way.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:08 AM
Spike

I have had a viper for a couple of years now. What impresses me about it is that even though I don't use it much I can quietly and quickly get up a tree with it. If you used it alot I'm sure you could get up a tree in no time with almost no noise. Once up the tree it's very stable and comfortable. The bar hasn't been a problem for me at all , my bow is a Mathews Z max. There are straps on the seat so you can adjust how far the seat hangs down from the bar. I'm not crazy about heights so the bar gives me a added measure of security. I also use it to lay my gun across when I'm gun hunting I set it so it's tipped back just a bit. you can use it for a rest too. You can also buy just the climbing seat and use that for bow hunting and the other for Rifle. I also have a Loggy Bayou stand but I don't think it compares to the Summit as a climer .I like the summit much better. Hope this helps

Old 11-21-2002, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I'm also a Viper XLS user. Absolutely love it! Like any climber it takes a little practice, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. The Summit folks are big on safety and their harness takes just a few seconds to put on and attach to the tree. Taking the fear of falling out of the equation makes it much easier to get up and down from your tree.

I don't really mind the bar because it's nice to rest your bow on it. It's definitely worth the money.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:35 PM

I've used the viper for 3 seasons now, The bar has never gotten in the way of my bow. It's as easy as any to get through the woods and set up as any out there. good stand, good service after the sale also...
Old 11-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt from the Python. The swing sown bar can be used for foot rest also. It weighs 21lbs and is a little ackward (to me) backpacking into woods. But it is comfortable and can make lenghty hunts from it.

Quick Reply: Summit Stand Users - Input Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.