Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Homemade Lighted Nock review (w/ pictures) >

Homemade Lighted Nock review (w/ pictures)

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Homemade Lighted Nock review (w/ pictures)

Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Lighted Nock review (w/ pictures)

I built my home made lighted knocks tonight. I weighed my other knocks that I have been using, the ones that use the tiny allen screw to tighten them, and they were 16.5 grains. I also weighed the homemade lighted knocks and including the 1/4" x 1/4" tube that I put in the shaft, instead of wooden dowel, and they weigh right at 25 grains. SO a total of 8.5 grains of difference.
This wasa very easy project, and I won't be paying $10 a pop for the factory lighted knocks any more. Very cool little add on to my archery gear!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

well, I was excited to try and make some of these lighted nocks. I went to gander mtn and found a generic thill light for 1.97. bought one of them and 2 thills to try out. I had absolutely no success in making all 3 of them. problems I encountered were the light was very finicky once glued into the nock. sometimes it would light up and sometimes not. almost like it had a loose contact. I took them out of the arrows and played with them but found them to be useless. On my last attempt out of 3 I ended up glueing the darn light to the nock. I am out 10.00 and still without a lighted nock to show for it. They ain't as easy as the video makes it out to be IMO. I was using the goldtip nocks. Nice instructional video and I am not bashing it but just wanted to caution others it wasn't easy for me. If I see something done I can usually replicate it but for some reason I couldn't on this project. Thanks for the video as I wouldn't have even tried to make them without it. P.S. I think someone else stated this but the red light was muccchhh brighter than the green IMO.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:08 AM

I have done this for the past two years with the thill ones. Work great. At close distance there is little difference. i was shooting an elite archery E-500 with a 365 grain arrow at 328 f.p.s and on the 3-D range we had a bedded buck at 47 yards. I'd use my 50 yard pin and hold right on the 12 ring and nail it every time with that lighted knock. that'd give the other guys something to aim at. That was my favorite shot on the course. for some reason I'd hit dead on every time, confidence I guess? A loss of 3 yards at 50 is'nt too bad in my opinion. Now having said this: at 80 yards, I was holding my 100 yard pin just a little on thecold side.....
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Well im glad they have worked out for you as well as they have,Keep having fun and be safe.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Spike

I tried making some of these and once the glue dried the light didnt turn on.... Anyone have a solution?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

You have to put a slight amount of glue on the edge of the light only. Here's the link to the video again, just in case someone has missed it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqLT...search=archery

Last edited by Lunker hunter; 04-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.